No announcement yet.

So the winner for best AV is [tear open envelope -->] Kaspersky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you run into an update that causes problems, you can simply remove that particular update via "Programs and Features" or "Add Remove Programs" depending on your OS. There is usually no need to do a system restore. If you don't know which update is causing the problem, you can order them by the date they were installed. You can also usually find info with a simple Google search as to which update might be causing your particular problem. I have found this to happen rarely and if there are problems, it's usually a sign that something else is wrong or was installed incorrectly to start with. Admittedly, Microsoft does, on rare occasion, toss out a clinker. That is certainly not a reason to turn off Windows Update. As has been stated, you do have the option to choose which updates to apply.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"The U.S. Department of Homeland Security advised computer users to consider using alternatives to Microsoft Corp’s Internet Explorer browser until the company fixes a security flaw that hackers have used to launch attacks. The United States Computer Emergence Readiness Team said in an advisory released on Monday morning that the vulnerability in versions 6 to 11 of Internet Explorer “could lead to the complete compromise of an affected system.”

Like I said, we have known that Microsoft security was essentially worthless -for many many years.
      And Microsoft "security updates" are probably just as meaningful...

So, the people who shut off the "updates" weren't missing much, were they? I didn't really think so.

And now you have the "official" word. Don't even use Internet Explorer, the security has been full of holes since 2008, or even earlier.
      Confirmed by Homeland Security.

Except that, how come so many of us knew this.....years before Homeland Security knew it? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

My observation was that: people who used the automatic updates, had far far more problems...
      than those of us who simply shut the updates off.
      And that observation seems to have been proving true.
      Last edited by soundguruman; 04-29-2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

The problem is with Internet Explorer, not the security patches. Or do you not get that?
        For anyone who still is using Internet Explorer, and has their updates turned off so they do not get the patch (whenever it gets issued), they could end up in big trouble.
        This is a perfect example of why you need automatic updates turned on, exactly the opposite of what you claim.
        You're not using Internet explorer, good for you, but don't try to cause problems for other people who are using it by spreading false information.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Disinformation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Misinformation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
            "The U.S. Department of Homeland Security advised computer users to consider using alternatives to Microsoft Corp’s Internet Explorer browser until the company fixes a security flaw that hackers have used to launch attacks. The United States Computer Emergence Readiness Team said in an advisory released on Monday morning that the vulnerability in versions 6 to 11 of Internet Explorer “could lead to the complete compromise of an affected system.”

Like I said, we have known that Microsoft security was essentially worthless -for many many years.
            And Microsoft "security updates" are probably just as meaningful...

So, the people who shut off the "updates" weren't missing much, were they? I didn't really think so.

And now you have the "official" word. Don't even use Internet Explorer, the security has been full of holes since 2008, or even earlier.
            Confirmed by Homeland Security.

Except that, how come so many of us knew this.....years before Homeland Security knew it? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

My observation was that: people who used the automatic updates, had far far more problems...
            than those of us who simply shut the updates off.
            And that observation seems to have been proving true.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	SGM.gif
Views:	2
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	833229

Comment

More Fake Antivirus...
              In the third quarter of 2013, an average of 5.8 Windows computers out of every 1,000 were infected with malware, said Tim Rains, director of Microsoft’s Trustworthy Computing division, which tracks security trends targeting the company’s widely used products. That jumped to about 17 computers per 1,000 for the last quarter of the year.
              Rains attributed the rise to malware called “Rotbrow.” The program masquerades as a browser add-on called “Browser Protector” and is supposedly a security product, Rains said by phone Wednesday. Rotbrow was found on about 59 of every 1,000 computers using its security products, he said.
              For some time, computer security companies didn’t classify Rotbrow as malicious software. Rotbrow is known as a “dropper,” with capabilities to download other software on a computer. It didn’t initially download malware to computers it was installed on, Rains said.
              But then Rotbrow started downloading malicious browser extensions. Microsoft noticed the change and alerted other security companies, which then began blocking it.

The tactic, which had been used by fake antivirus programs in the past, meant that Rotbrow was already installed on a huge number of computers.

FYI: 80% of all "free" security on the internet is fake.

Comment

According to your logic, some are fake therefore all must be fake. It is a poor inference at best, highly illogical, and highly un-scientific.

Do you also wear a white robe and hood?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  I know it is a Global world, & Economy!
                  With that said, does it not bother any of you windows guys that most of the AV Companies are Foreign made?
                  The number one AV that comes to mind, is a top rated hacking Country, Russia, Their AV is Kaspersky!
                  I don't run any Linux that has an origin of Russia, or China!
                  I have visions of back door access and Doing Who Knows what, With my passwords, and accounts, Who Knows When?
                  Yes I am a Paranoid Computer User, and Because of that, probably contributes to me Using Linux!
                  T
                  I asked this question in April of 2014.
                  Kaspersky AV Labs has been tied to Russian hacking and ties to the Russian Government.
                  I ask again, do you really want foreign AV, or Anti-Malware on your Computer?
                  Best Buy was giving a free copy of Kaspersky AV with the sale of each computer.
                  Use at your own risk!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

all my Gay Clown Putin pictures are flagged as virus laden!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	rn5lrski4wpy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	846023
                    go figure!

Comment

Kaspersky AV Labs has been tied to Russian hacking and ties to the Russian Government.
                      Professor Kaspersky himself, former KGB agent, "can't imagine why some US potential customers are biased against using his product." Imagine THAT!

I never heard of Kaspersky before they started being an NPR (National Public Radio) sponsor earlier in the 2000's. "Who the f... are they?" I remember axing myself. Also I recognized many of NPR's sponsors are companies that either are, or are about to get themselves in deep doodoo somehow or another. GE, Bank of America, fine upstanding outfits like that. Eventually it came to light, the sort of dim light that accompanies such things, that Kaspersky may not really be your "friend" when it comes to computer security.

Note I'm not anti NPR. But they do have a history of dicey sponsors. If you're looking for a stock to short, pay attention, you'll find some excellent candidates from time to time, donating to NPR in exchange for an on-air mention.

I'll spare you'se-all the usual picture of Boris and Natasha, you know what it looks like.
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Kapersky has recently announced global rollout of their first ever free version of AV.
                        That's not what they've been making the recent news for though.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I think I'll pass on the free Russian HackingAV, with built-in backdoor ports!
                          Here's what I've used for years on Linux, I get it from the Ubuntu safe repository.
                          https://www.clamav.net/
                          I run it along, with a simple firewall enabled.
                          ClamAV comes in both Linux and Microsoft versions.
                          T
                          **To enable firewall on linux, you simply open the terminal.
                          And type
                          terry@C55:~$ sudo ufw enable
                          [sudo] password for terry:
                          Firewall is active and enabled on system startup
                          Last edited by big_teee; 07-29-2017, 07:45 PM.
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

This is an old Steve A thread.
                            Curious what others use for AV ware these days?
                            Is Kaspersky still being used by anyone?
                            What about PCmatic? They advertise constantly on Cable news.
                            I still use Clamtk free AV, and ufw for firewall, on my Ubu Linux.
                            Thanks,
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 06-05-2019, 07:40 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Is Kaspersky still being used by anyone?
                              To quote a smart computer guy: "I think I'll pass on the free Russian HackingAV, with built-in backdoor ports!"

Indeed, what sane / smart person would let the fox guard the hen house, now really ???

Kapoopskie, indeed. Personally recommended by Vlad Putin and the KGB Krew.
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

So, what is the AV of choice these days?
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X