Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnator Modified JTM45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnZAo_kZAc

Has anyone taken the class that is willing to share some of the mods used to get that sound? I'm never going to take the class, as much as I probably need it, but I would definitely like to build anything that sounds so good.

I did send an email to Egnator.com to ask if they would share a schematic but if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by BJosephs View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnZAo_kZAc

Has anyone taken the class that is willing to share some of the mods used to get that sound? I'm never going to take the class, as much as I probably need it, but I would definitely like to build anything that sounds so good.

I did send an email to Egnator.com to ask if they would share a schematic but if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.
    HA ha ha... yeah let someone else cough up the hundreds of dollars.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by that. Forgive me for being defensive but I feel like you are implying I was trying to rip someone off.

To be clear: I offered to pay the Egnator company for a schematic and they refused. They are also not willing to sell a kit that I could build at home, either even though their sight says one could become available. I live in Massachusetts and can't fly to Michigan to take the class even if they ever offer one again. So what am I to do?

I have supported their company by buying a Tourmaster 4212 for $1600 dollars so its not like I am unwilling to buy product from the company. The person who paid the $1400 for the class gets an experience that can't be duplicated and a kit that I would have to put together myself for close to $1000 so I don't think anyone who made that investment would be slighting themselves by posting or emailing the schematic to me, right?

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Comment

Dude...Duhuhuuude,

Chill. Your question is perfectly reasonable. You get nothing if you don't ask. Bruce's point was just that those clips you heard are meant to entice people to take the class. If they sold you a kit or schem with the secret mods revealed, no one would bother with the class. They're trying to be exclusive. It's good marketing. They may even swear those taking the class to secrecy. Bruce builds amps for a living so he understands this.

Eventually those mods will be known. But for now take heart. There are alot of things that make a JTM45 sound good on a recording. It's no secret either. Good tubes, the right speakers, proper set up (bias etc.), reasonable recording technique and virtuostic playing will make any JTM45 sound like God's amp. And FWIW, if you don't cover those bases, no mod in the world will make an improperly adjusted JTM45 with bad tubes played badly through the wrong cabinet sound good. A little research goes a long way.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

All good points Chuck. I still think his comment was snide but whatever, maybe I read into it wrong. After a week with no replies it was a little disappointing.

Comment

Yes, it was intended to be snide. But he wasn't aware that you had already bought one of their amps and offered them a premium for the kit. You need to understand that we get alot of posts here where it's just another noob trying to take the easy road. Without knowing the history, your post seemed just like that. So someone like Bruce who works hard at it every day is bound to be ammused and slightly offended by it. Bruce is one of the good guys here. He offers advice and participates in discussions. He's been here as long as anyone. And if you ever post a design question (especially about a tweed Fender circuit) he is very likely to be the one that helps you.

Tweaking amps is often a boys hobbie. But you'll find mostly men here who are trying to take it to the next level. And if you hang with men, a little good natured ribbing is going to happen sometimes. You gotta grow a thicker skin and locate some humility. What I'm saying is that even though you weren't wrong, niether was Bruce. He wasn't trying to be hurtfull. If you had been sitting next to him he would have slapped you on the back and been laughing while he gave that response. Get it. We're all just happy geeks here.

Chuck
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A JTM45 is basically just a tweed bassman 5F6a with mustard caps (because they were on-hand for Jim when he cloned the bassman) and a UK wound PT and OT (because they were easier for Jim to get than US made ones at the time), and UK made speakers (same reason as the trannys) otherwise I guess he probably would've used the parts that Leo used in the bassman. It sounds veeeerry similar to a tweed bassman albeit through a celestion speaker.

So the egnater-tomater-modified thingy is probably also just a tweed bassman with some minor tweeks to caps and resistors and some OEM speaker that they could buy in bulk, and technology-wise it is nothing voo-doo that a bassman is not. You could probably build a similar amp for yourself from one of Bruce's kits and get top of the line after-sales service (from what I have observed of his posts here).
              Last edited by tubeswell; 11-13-2008, 11:51 PM.
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Word on the street is it's more of a JCM800 2204 than a JTM 45. I think you could describe a 2204 as a supped up JTM45 so maybe that is why it seems so radical. It could be nothing more than a stock 2204 and seem like a completely revamped, customized amp in comparison. Kind like sticking a mesa MkI back in a fender chassis and calling it a "Princeton".

I'm gonna move on with life on this one, maybe just build a standard 2203 and see what I get...

Comment

there is a top hat emplexador schem on schematic heaven- that's where I'd start for that kind of sound and many others with plenty of adjustment options.

jamie
                  Last edited by imaradiostar; 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: wrong word used

Comment

Working...
                  X