electronics theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronics theory

i am just starting in this field, i have several books i am reading on the subject and even though i am absorbing alot of information, i really only have one real question. that question is, why do circuits work the way they do? why do the components allow the circuit to do what it does?

That sounds more like a question about physics than electronics.

Comment

something to chew on.

maybe there is no easy answer for my question, i guess i was curious to why the configuration of a circuit allows an input to produce different ouputs and e.g. phaser,distortion,envelope filter...etc.

Comment

I guess you need to look into R.G. Keen's site first and then come back and tell us if this is what you want or not:
        http://www.geofex.com/
        Look in the upper left corner: "The Technology Of...".
        This will give you an insight on the most popular effects groups out there and how they work. Lots of good info there.

Comment

There are as many answers to the question as there are kinds of circuits and components.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thats actually more than I knew when I started at uni. Before uni I was excited at the fact that I could probably make guitar effects when I finish my degree, and I actually thought that u have to somehow program the circuit with actual code :lol:.

Comment

I would recommend starting with ohms law. This is the relationship between Voltage, current, and resistance. Thevenins theorum, and Kirchoffs voltage law would be terms you would come across.

Next learn how capaciters and inducters react in circuits. Impedance, resonance, Q of a circuit, and vector addition would be some terms you would see.

NOW don't get frightened away, these things take time to learn.

Next, power supplies. Terms: half wave rectifier, full wave rectifier, bridge rectifier, filter capaciter, inductive filtering, voltage regulater, diode, silicon, germanium.

Next, vacuum tubes. Terms: Plate, Cathode, Grid, Bias, B+.

Next, transisters. Terms, bipolar, Jfet, Mosfet, voltage divider, common emitter, common collecter, common base.

The FUN starts now.

Integrated circuits-the field is wide open here.

Do the homework, read the required reading and attend every class even if you are sick.Take notes in class and read them after class while they are still fresh in your mind to make any additions. Read your notes before any tests. Study hard.

This is a fun field to be in, Hopefully you will get a lot of hands on experiance

Dan

Comment

An old and well respected boss of mine would often be asked this question or a variant thereof and his answer always stayed in my mind -

"Most of what you need to know about electronics is contained in Ohm's law... But you need to know Ohm's law bloody well".

He also used this in his lectures to PhD students about medical physics.

I wish I'd said it

S.

Comment

Thats a really good quote . I know enough atm to know its very true.

Comment

I have a sign on my wall. It is a picture of Mr. Natural - if you were around for the 1960s you will know who he is - telling us all to:

Get the right tool for the job.

Ohm's Law is by far the most fundamental concept in electronics. I use it every day. I have a couple guys come to the shop now and then to learn electronics, and I stress that. Learn it. It is not complex at all really. it describes the relation between voltage, currrent, and resistance. And it can be used in so many ways. Throw on the power law - volts times amps yields watts.

Ohm's Law tells you how volume controls work, why there is a different voltage at each end of a resistor - or not, why a resistor burnt out. On and on. These laws tell me that if my amp connected to an 8 ohm speaker puts 20 volts across the speaker, we are producing 50 watts there.

Dan's list is good, and everyone has their favorite resources, and I hope they all chime in.

Why do circuits work like they do? because the principles of electronics say so. Once you understand what the parts do, they you can learn what combinations of parts do. For example a resistor and a capacitor together can do a lot of things: act like a timing circuit, act like a tone filter, act like a valve for AC and a block for DC. Resistors and things are passive, after the basic parts you learn about gain producing parts.

Circuitry is a very large field. Learn the basics and then expand upon it. SHow me a circuit diagram, and I will tell you what it does. Not because I've seen it before or read about it, but because I have learned what the stuff in it does. That is what you need to do.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'd start here: http://www.twysted-pair.com/downloads.htm These downloadable lessons cost some money but are excellent. Way better than any of the confusing books I tried to learn with.

Comment

Good God, for a minute I thought Walters was back.
                        Stop by my web page!

Comment

I assume that is an R. Crumb reference and it is a reflection of my age, darn it!
                          Bruce

Mission Amps
                          Denver, CO. 80022
                          www.missionamps.com
                          303-955-2412

Comment

R. Crumb? Natch!
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X