Monitor speaker/crossover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor speaker/crossover question

Sorry for posting here, I did not see a dedicated speaker section. One of my Peavey 1545 floor monitors has lately been doing the following...

During use, the Horn works intermidently, when it works it sounds clear, when it dont, it dont. No static crackling etc. Should I suspect the compression driver? Will a simple ohm test tell me if it's ok? OR should I troubleshoot the crossover circuitry. I think I can find a schematic but it's pretty basic, component wise?

Thanks,

ENB

As your horn seems to work normally ( when it does work ) I would suggest to check very carefully for bad contacts, you could have a bad/cracked solder joint on the x-over network PCB or an oxidized lug on the horn itself....

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
    Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Some Peavey crossovers are real easy to damage by hitting the speaker cable while it's plugged in or pulling hard on it (tripping on the cable). If it has "direct in" jacks those can go intermittent too. Remove the crossover and check for breaks in the circuit board or fractured connections.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I have desoldered and resoldered two suspect cold solder joints. I checked capacitance on an 18mfd bipolar 200 volt rated cap that checks 0 on my fluke meter. I will order a replacement set of caps and that should fix it. All the other components checked good.

Thanks for the information, this is really a great forum, you guys are great.

Comment

I think Loudthud got it. The first thing I'd suspect is the biamp HIGH input jack.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X