Cool Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Amp

I am curious what the value of this unit might be to a guitar amp guy. It is a Motorola HiFi from around 57'. But the cool thing about the unit is the Jenson speakers and the tube configuration is 5Y3GT, 12AU7, 12AU7, 6AU6, 6V6GT, 6V6GT. I think you could use the amp, and speaker to make a cool guitar amp. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, William
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tboy; 11-13-2008, 07:25 AM.

Pics of the amp guts and trannies would help. Whats the model on the speaker? It's printed on the rim.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It's a Jensen Alnico 5 PM Concert Series Speaker, on the outside rim 220723 P15R-C5835 2.
      Need value to amp enthusiast. It would make a cool bassman clone in a nice cabinet. Thanks, William
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tboy; 11-13-2008, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Tranny

Output:
        185-25C638551-0
        117V 60CY 549726

Power:
        25C632258 G
        185 AL5725

Comment

looks like it would be a good amp to try some things with. have no idea about the value, as most looking for something like this are looking to get it for cheap then mod it.

Comment

labb is right. But your amp has a good compliment of parts and what appears to be a decent layout. Big strappin trannies and three preamp tubes (instead of the typical two) Plus that speaker may be valuable for an old Fender owner. IIRC Fender used a 15" concert speaker in a couple of models and as yet no one makes a good replacement (maybe Weber). It can't hurt to check out the tubes that are in it. If they're collectible, get them tested. Collectible "pulls" that test good do OK on Ebay also. Just make sure you list the original tube compliment for the amp in any ad. I don't think the unit as a console is worth much. If you sell the amp (chassis), 15" speaker and tubes separate you may do better. You may get US $50 - $75 for the amp on Ebay and I would guess the same or a little more on the speaker. Can't say about the tubes yet.

Good luck
            Chuck
            Last edited by tboy; 11-13-2008, 07:18 AM.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

WOW... I just grabbed this same exact Motorolla HiFi record player out of my gradfathers basement....I never knew it was even down there. As soon as I saw it I thought, "I have to see what it sounds like with a guitar plugged into it"! Did you try it yet? Is it worth my time? If not I am still going to mess around with it and see if I can make something that sounds decent out of it. I frequent the Pickup makers forum on here, but it looks like I may be coming over to the dark side soon!

Comment

I dont think it would bring a lot of $$$ to anyone except maybe someone who wanted to re-store it to its original use.Even then it wouldnt likely fill your gas tank.The laminates on the trannies are quite rusted,could be a problem.These speakers dont make for very good guitar amp speakers.The caps may or may not be useful for guitar,if they arent leaky,it would depend a lot on their value (mf,not monetary value).To make it a good sounding amp would probably require gutting and re-doing the circuit.12AU7's arent particularly good sounding guitar pre-amp tubes,but you could sub AX7's with some tweaking to the circuit.It would likely "function" as a guitar amp as is,but may not sound ideal.It would make a decent project for experimentation,if the iron is still usable with all that rust.I suspect the cab may be a little on the light side and may not be ideal with a guitar.Bottom line is it is probably worth more as an educational/experimental platform than looking to sell for a score.

Comment

Well, really, you just don't know about the speakers until you try them. One of my mentors who died in '87 taught me that Alnico inexpensive speakers often made good guitar speakers if the paper cone was pretty stiff with no surround. While putting a signal through them is the acid test just pulling them and tapping the cone an inch or two from the edge is a good test. If the speaker gives a sharp tone much like tapping the top of an acoustic guitar then they often make pretty good low powered speakers - I've never seen any that sound good over about 20-25 watts but I've also used many of these in my home builds which give me an affordable speaker to provide to an amp customer who doesn't have a full wallet. It's worth trying and I've modded many of these for folks who really don't care what their rig looks like.
                  But for those anal folks who want an amp to look like a guitar amp they won't be satisfied so the builder will probably be stuck with this for their own purposes.

Rob

Comment

Of course trying the speaker is the only sure way to tell,based on what I've seen and experienced Hi-Fi bass speakers just dont sound good as guitar speakers.And then there is subjectivity.But I think his real question was to how much $$ this thing would be worth,so I was just giving reasons I have the opinion it isnt worth a whole lot.I see units like this at hamfests quite a lot going for $5-$25.About the speaker again,if you look there is a lot of rust on the frame,as well as all over the chassis.Speakers that are stored in damp environments for many years often have soft,mushy cones.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Stoke,

Actually I completely agree with you - but at the time that this unit was built these speaker weren't considered "HiFi' but more "consumer lo-fi" and one really difference is that there is not speaker surround. Later on due to technology improvements and imported electronics lower prices even the cheapest boom box had more "hifi" speaker but these 1960s and earlier USA major manufacturer (as opposed to dedicated HiFi such as MacIntosh) usually used stiff cone speakers that work pretty for music production. I wouldn't have believed it myself until my long gone friend showed me. Now I pick these up when I can and pass them on or use them myself - got a bunch of mil surplus ceiling PA speakers a few years ago for $1 a piece which make great 12" low power guitar speakers - made by Utah of all things!

Yeah, the newer ones aren't worth considering.
                      Rob

Comment

Amp sounds pretty good...but the speakers are terrible!

Well, I have the same model record player as the one posted above ('57 motorola 'HI-FI') but mine was not rusted and was stored in a relatively dry invironment.

I fired it up last weekend and checked it out. Lets say that the sound was mediocre at best. Yes it does function as a guitar amp...but I would not have wanted to use it....until I plugged it into a 212 cabinet that I have loaded with one celestian V30 and one eminence V128. I was about ready to set it asside for good before I figured out that it was the 50 year old 15" Jensen speaker that was crap. With a little bit of restoration I think this will make a pretty cheap and cool 112 or 110 combo amp. It definately needs some new caps and probably tubes (Although it does work as is) but for less that a $100 to restore, I think it will fun little project!

I will post some pix and maybe a sound clip when I get it done...

Comment

You have found something worth hanging onto. I found an old Motorola amp just like the one above, I think it is an HS475 model. I took it to a tech and for about 100, he recapped it, added a fuse input/output jacks and volume and tone knobs. It was converted into a 5D3 Tweed deluxe style amp. Mine had the original 6V6 and 12a7 tubes in it, the price I paid for the chassis before the mods was 25 bucks and I ended up with an authentic 50's amp that sounds awesome. I would definitley recap with sprague or Mallory's. Here are some pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X