Tweed Harvard conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Harvard conversion

I bought an old Webster Chicago (Webcor) Amp. It was originally setup with a mic and phono input (even had the original mic with it!!). It worked when I got it but was really setup very low gain. All the components were perfect for a Tweed Harvard (5F10) circuit...
    6AT6, 12AX7, 2 X 6V6'S, 5Y3, VOL, VOL TONE
    However, there is no HV bias tap on the power transformer.
    OK, so I wired the whole circuit with some physical conversions to the small chassis. I also wired in the bias network by just tapping off of the Rectifier Plate. I also subbed a 1N4007 for the selenium rectifier.
    THE AMP WORKS!! Surprise Surprise. But the bias is off. I used a 10k resistor from the tap instead of 6800 (cause I didn't have one) and my bias read -150 instead of -27. I read something about a 100K 1W resistor in that spot. I don't know how to figure out if that is correct. Can someone help me with the math?
    P.S. I will post some photos when I'm all done cause it's really cute.
    Thanks,
    Doug

I would try a 220K 1W flameproof in place of the 6800 and make an adjustable supply by using an 12K in series with a 25K pot for the 56K. For a cap use 22uF@63V. This was based on roughly a 270-0-270 transformer winding. 16K should give you roughly -27V if you want to use a fixed resistor.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

220k was right on the money!! Everything is perfect and sounds so sweet. It's really nice to have the prescence control from the negative feedback loop on the extra pot. There's so much versatility. It's alot louder than I thought it would be.
      Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
      X