No announcement yet.

LDRs as pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems that most of the thread is concerned with using LDRs to make voltage dividers to be used as controls, (gain, tonestack, etc) but has anyone thought of using the LDRs to form a simple variable resistor, that one could then use as the plate and cathode resistors of a tube amp stage?
    I think it's a better idea to use regular resistors and switch them when necessary. There are only several values that are most common.

By the way I already have a working programmable tube preamp where the pot I built (picture is on previous page) is implemented as Gain pot. The whole thing is in a 1U rack unit but inside doesn't look good because of the numerous experiments conducted.
    I'm currently drawing a PCB for the new version but it will take time. I can record some samples if anyone is interested.

In the mean time the infamous Hamamatsu HTV-P873 is now available from Banzai:

Hamamatsu HTV P873 :: Photocells :: Optoelectronics :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

Comment

• That Hamamatsu part is Ouch! Expensive! I've read that the Vactrol photo resistor cells are non-linear when there is large voltages across them. Is this true of the Hamamatsu parts?
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

• Gregg: Samples plz!

Yes, LDRs are non-linear, but so were carbon comp resistors, so it all adds to the mojo.

They're also now banned in Europe because of the cadmium content, as far as I know.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Gregg: Samples plz!
          I'll try to record some this weekend although I'm not very good at recording.

They're also now banned in Europe because of the cadmium content, as far as I know.
          That's true. Farnell for example does't offer them in Europe anymore.
          But weren't there GaAs photocells as well?

All this cadmium, RoHS and "energy saving lightbulb" thing is complete crap initiated and lobbied by the biggest corporations as Philips and Siemens. EU banned the 100W lightbulb but the new ones have lead gas inside them which the mentioned companies say is OK...

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post

What, LDRs are banned? Or do you mean a particular kind?

Comment

• I mean all of them, since they're all made of cadmium disulphide.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Maybe that's why the Mesa Mark V used all relays and JFETs for its switching instead of LDRs like the Marks have always done; Smith didn't want to sacrifice sales in Europe.

Comment

• I mean all of them, since they're all made of cadmium disulphide.
                  Is this the only material that LDR are made from or others can be used as well?

Maybe that's why the Mesa Mark V used all relays and JFETs for its switching instead of LDRs like the Marks have always done; Smith didn't want to sacrifice sales in Europe.
                  I think Lonestar and Roadking are on relays as well and they came out some time ago, so maybe there's another reason for that. Like realizing that too many LDRs influence the sound in a let's say nondesirable way.
                  Last edited by Gregg; 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                    I mean all of them, since they're all made of cadmium disulphide.
                    There are still plenty for sale on Farnell UK. I googled about a bit, and it looks like there are still non-cadmium LDRs, so no worries. (I think?)
                    Cadmium LDRs for audio are still exempt from the ROHS legislation until the end of this year. I guess there will be a review then.
                    Last edited by Merlinb; 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• There are still plenty for sale on Farnell UK.
                      Sorry, I misread non-RoHS as not available.

Comment

• Tboy -

Thanks for digging this thread back out. I found the bit that I needed.
                        Have a great day!

- Don

Comment

• Hi there, I'd like to say hi as this is my first post on this board! I see also that this thread has know just turned 3 years old Sorry in advance for the long post but I have to get some ideas out and ask some questions

I have been dreaming of modifying my 5150mkII for MIDI automation for a while now. I have already built a PIC based MIDI receiver which has been tested and works quite well. It was actually built for a couple of other projects but will easily adapt to this one. I don't find assembler programming particularly difficult as I have a background in IT. The real challenge (for me anyway) lies in the digitally controlled potentiometer.

As I understand the Hamamatsu HTV-P873 units are available from Banzai in Berlin (as previously mentioned). They are reasonably expensive at over 10 Euro a piece. There are 12 pots on the 5150mkII (not all requiring 2 ldrs each) so that makes this project worth somewhere around $250-300 Australian for me to undertake but I reckon it's probably worth it given that you would probably pay a lot more than that if this amp had full MIDI control straight off the shelf.

Can anybody confirm that the P873's are the actual models used in the Triaxis and also where the heck can I find a proper datasheet for them?? Much googling has not yielded any results.

On the other hand I cant help but wonder whether there may be a solution that does not require a center tapped ldr. I mean, does the resistive element in the ldr wander around that much that it needs to be "servo"ed and error corrected many many times per second?? I'm guessing maybe not.

Our main problems with the ldr approach are that the resistivity tends to vary with age and also with changes in temperature. One idea that I had was to perform a "calibration" at startup by testing the ldr over its full resistive range (I'm guessing with an ADC) and storing the key values in the memory of a microcontroller. This is basically the same idea as when you calibrate an optical pedal and should all but take care of the "aging" problem. The process would probably have to take place when the amp is on standby with a relay perhaps conecting the ADC to ldr's resistor legs. The only real problem I can see is that as the amps many valves heat up and reach operating temperature this could send our calibration values out of whack. But by how much??? Also if the amp is left sitting for many hours the outside temperature may change depending on the environment. Outdoor gig anyone?? If the amp is unused and is left on standby this would not be a problem because our microcontroller would be continually looping calibration tests.

Am i crazy?? Could this work? Thoughts???

Comment

• Can anybody confirm that the P873's are the actual models used in the Triaxis and also where the heck can I find a proper datasheet for them?? Much googling has not yielded any results.
                            Check out the picture below. It's the Triaxis tone stack:

On the other hand I cant help but wonder whether there may be a solution that does not require a center tapped ldr. I mean, does the resistive element in the ldr wander around that much that it needs to be "servo"ed and error corrected many many times per second?? I'm guessing maybe not.
                            You can use a shunt volume and gain control instead of the "regular" volume control and then you'll need only one center tapped LDR such as VTL5C3/2, 4/2 etc.

Shunt Pot Volume Control - World-Designs-Forum

This is what Mesa does in their amps as well, but in the tone stack and couple of other places you'll need the double cell LDR. If you have a capacitor across your gain control pot you'll need that one as well.
                            If you don't want to pay for P873's go ahead and build yourself some.

By the way the samples (along with some other experiments) I promised previously are coming up very soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X