X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It lives!!

It's alive!! It's alive!!
    The Cobraluxe 5e3 head...

These projects just seem to take forever!
    Of course it's modded, just a little...
    Split cathodes on V1 with different voicings, switchable fixed/cathode bias w/test points & bias pot on the back panel, Brimar power, Bendix 5y3 recto, screen resistors, & BIG IRON!

Cleen to scream!!
    I guess for the truly traditional, it's not really a 5e3 anymore, but I'm cool with it!

It's sounding really good, although one of the speakers in the 2x12 (pic below) is new, & needs to be pounded for awhile to break in. It's a little hard, strident, & spikey right now. I'm on it! The mic channel (split cathode) is basically what the inst channel is on the original, & voiced so it's still very traditional & vintage sounding. The other split cathode channel is voiced more modern and british, & here's where the clean to scream thing with the guitar volume really happens, a huge plus! The big iron has made it tighter & punchier, with a little more headroom, not so smeared and flabby in the lows, & it's got better range on the volume dials. In fixed bias mode it tightens up even more, sorta like a BF Deluxe without the mid scoop & the farty lows. It's more dynamic & touch sensitive. The cleans seem better than a stock 5e3, & easier to dial in. The grindy OD tones are totally cool, with a sort of harder revved up british flavor. It's kinda like a southern rockabilly redneck that lives in Ipswich, & likes to have tea every day at the same time!

Last edited by Cobra; 11-14-2008, 10:23 PM.
    sigpic

VERY nice... congratulations on a great looking amp

Comment

Originally posted by chrisspencer View Post
      VERY nice... congratulations on a great looking amp
      Thanks!
      I'm having a blast with this rig!
      sigpic

Comment

maybe hould have said great looking ass.. love that tatoo

Comment

I'm hoping I just found the last piece of the Cobraluxe sonic puzzle! I've been trying several different speakers in the 2x12 slant cab. I ended up trading for a 30watt Scumback H75-16, to be paired up with a 25watt Scumback M75-LHDC-16 in the 2x12 below. Basically a pre-Rola greenback and a pre-Rola G12H30, with one small difference: The M75-LHDC-16 has a larger G12-65 dustcap to smooth some of the highs...
          WOOHOO!!!
          Tone party tonight!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X