old schematics and parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old schematics and parts

The music store I have operated for the last 30 years closed its service shop a couple of years ago and I need to dispose of the old Fender and Peavey paper schematics. Any suggestions? I also have a box of old Peavey Transistors and misc Fender parts. How should I get rid of them? Is there a demand for older parts or a clearinghouse? Your suggestions appreciated.
    ccglenn

Originally posted by ccglenn View Post
    The music store I have operated for the last 30 years closed its service shop a couple of years ago and I need to dispose of the old Fender and Peavey paper schematics. Any suggestions? I also have a box of old Peavey Transistors and misc Fender parts. How should I get rid of them? Is there a demand for older parts or a clearinghouse? Your suggestions appreciated.
    ccglenn
    Paper schematics are pain in rear end to me... I bet most of us.
    I'd toss them out myself, however the old Fender parts are probably still worth something I would suggest listing them here and on Ebay or Craig's list.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Toss them out? I bet there are any number of shops who'd love them, especially when not all older ones are readily available from the OEM. I have tons of SLM schematics that Loud doesn't have - or at least doesn;t access. PV is great about archives, but Fender isn;t. And independent shops who are not authorized service centers don;t have the same level of access as we do. A set of PV or Fender drawings would mean instant lookup rather than wait a day or a few days for factory response.

I admit I often download something I have on paper just to have on my bench screen, but a rare week goes by where I don't scan an old paper copy of something for someone. ANd I have things here I don;t have to hunt down simply because of my shelves full of paper.

And there is something comforting about a nice 11x17 drawing I can look at as a whole instead of zooming in on parts at a time.

There are a lot of novice members here, and learners, and there are pros like some of us, but there are also quite a few guys who run smaller shops or non-affiliated shops who would find this stuff appealing I'd bet.

I don;t know how much old parts you have, but if it is small enough to inventory, making a listing available might help. Or even just 20 or 100 or 400 PV transistors is useful. Or even transistors, caps, and pots. If it is wieldy, I'd think selling it as a lot makes more sense than parting it out a couple transistors here and a pot there.

Transistors are timeless - any semiconductor is. SO are pots and connectors. Caps have a shelf life, but how many caps you do have that are specific to those makers and are "old" anyway?

On the other hand I do see three shelving units full of binders next to me that could easily be happy as a home for the little parts drawer bins I always need more of.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I would suggest if you want to rid yourselves of this stuff officially, post it in the Maintenance and repair section.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          I would suggest if you want to rid yourselves of this stuff officially, post it in the Maintenance and repair section.
          Well, OK... don't toss them all out yet... separate out the ones you can't find on the NET and make copies of them to be shared or sold on the NET... then after sitting on them for a few weeks/months, decide if you want to give them away to someone or toss them out.
          I'd toss out the ones that are duplicates or easily found on the NET right away.

Me... I'm sick of paper work and paper clutter.
          I have file cabinet drawers that are chock full of misc schematics and layouts in hand drawn or printed form that are really just not viewed by me very much anymore.
          I can get 95 to 99% of what I want right from the NET or my own computer/monitor pretty fast.
          Then I can zoom in on an area I need and print that if needed.

Regardless, now I know I'm safe and if I can't find it, I'll just ask Enzo or Loud! ha ha ha
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

It all depends upon what you have to get rid of. I see original service paper selling for good money on eBay all the time. If you have anything out of the ordinary, the guys that sell copies of service paper, will have a field day. If what you have is all of the common stuff that we all have already, there will be far less interest.

As for parts, if you have rare new old stock parts, especially stuff that is no longer available, eBay will garner the most return as there are lots of guys looking for obsolete ICs, transistors, knobs and panel controls, etc.

Comment

I don't see a shelf of PV or Fender as particularly hard to find, just a convenient way for a young shop to get a library going. And it depends on what you do. I run a general shop, and we service pretty much anything that goes into making a show or recording. SOmeone who only works on tube amps doesn;t need the majority of these documents

Comment

I have a small shop, and do Fender and Peavey, mostly all vintage and tube amps.
                There is a demand, but it is probably a small one.
                Can you name a price, and some idea of how much this stuff weighs (for shipping)?
                Like these other guys, I get most of what I need on the Net, but sometimes you find an out-of-print schematic.
                As for the parts, some are valuable, and some are not. I don't have room to store 200 each of 2K, 10 watt resistors. Ans some might not be any good, like old electrolytics that are starting to leak.

Mike.

Comment

PLEASE !!! !!! !!! DON'T Throw out any paper schematic !!! !!! !!! Please if anyone has some schematics that they don't want, I'll take them I will pay postage !!! Please Email me. We can dicuss any terms that we wish to set. You can Email me at Ebtronics38@charter.net . Please Text Email only, No attachments !!! Thanks :-) Old school Navy Tech Eb ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X