Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow panel tweed baffle attachment

Hi Guys;

I am in the draft stage of a new build. It is a 5E/F circuit with a built in reverb. In the past I have just used 1X stock for the panel runners and bolted the baffle on the inside. With more study of the old ones, I've noticed the baffle seems much closer to flush with the amp face -- maybe a quarter inch recessed. I can't find a close-up of the rear of the runner to see if is dadoed to receive the baffle or just thinner stock than I am using.

Does anyone know?

Thanks, Skip

The panels that the baffle bolt/screw onto is 3/8" thick. I will be ripping down some pine to the correct thickness to use for the panels. So in the end the baffle will be recessed 3/8" plus the thickness of the tweed overlaping the back of the panel.

I am in the process of building a my first cab, luckily I have an original tweed amp to use as reference. One detail that I am not sure of yet is how the panel attaches. I have cut a 3/8" x 3/8" strip out of the front edge of the top and bottom pieces of the cabinet, the panel recesses into these edges (rabbit?). The detail that I am unsure of is does the panel overlap into the side pieces of the amp cabinet. I will probably make the panel overlap halfway into the sides as I cant see how glueing along the recessed strip I cut out is enough to hold the panel and the baffle for years to come.

I am no expert, this is just what I have figured out so far. There is no definitive way of getting it done, I figure if I try to stay as close as possible to the way Leo did it I can't go too wrong.

Alby.

Comment

Thanks Alby;

If you could shoot a couple close-ups that might help us both.

I didn't think a 3/8" panel would have enough gluing surface to hold well either. Not being tradition bound, I was just going to cut a rabbett and make the baffle shorter.

Cheers, Skip

Comment

Here is what I have so far. The cab is not glued, these were taken just after I did the finger joints.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/v...arm/page/1/15/

Comment

On the cabinet I built I attached a 1/2" thick frame to the baffle board to support the grill cloth. The frame fits between the panels and gives the apearance of being recessed about 1/4". The top and bottom of the baffle board bolt or screw to the back of the panels. The baffle is not attached on the sides. You can see the baffle on page two of these pictures:

http://home.triad.rr.com/davidsspace/

I know the pictures are a little fuzzy, my camera had been dropped and wasn't focusing properly

David

Comment

Dave, That speaker is not going anywhere! Nice job.

Alby

Comment

Thanks guys. David, I'll bet stretching that grille cloth was challenging! sh

Comment

You got that right! It's not perfectly straight I'd like to see how a pro does it.

Comment

I'm not an amp pro but I usually use a DYI stretcher. What I do is leave the material a little long on the stretch side and staple it in place along one edge. Then I staple a stiff scrap board along the other edge. Finally, I take a couple of bar clamps and pull the scrap piece uniformly taught. Staple it down while it is under tension, trim off the scrap and you're done.

Thats' why the grille cloth was the first thing that struck me about yours. You could go side-to-side for the stretch and tuck in the corners on the rabbetts. It is harder to get the vertical lines to match but you can fine tune the clamps individually to adjust. It helps to sand a little roundover on both the front and back edges so the material doesn't bind.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X