fender faint sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender faint sound

I just did a recap job on my fender 73 twin reverb. Now I have no sound. The speaker makes that low hum all amps make. I plug in an ipod that works with my other twinn reverb. When I maxed out the volume I could faintly hear the music. I traced all the wires of the solder joints I touched to see if a wire was out. I checked voltages also. What would be the most likely thing that could have happened. The amp played before I diassembles it.

It sounds like the amp is OK, but you probably accidentally created a short between signal and ground somewhere (such as dripping solder from a socket pin, etc). Alternately, you may have a very weak connection between on of the caps and the following grid. If the volume control affects the hum, the problem is before the volume control. Same for any other controls. Otherwise, it's probably after all of that near the PI or power tubes. These are usually "D'oh" type moments

Comment

It may sound stupid but make sure your speaker is plugged into the correct jack..internal speaker, not the ext. speaker jack. Don't ask me how I know about this

Comment

There, I like that call a lot. Wrong jack.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          There, I like that call a lot. Wrong jack.
          Not only have I received amps into the shop with that complaint and that was the problem but I did it myself on a old fender twin a few years back...I reached around the back without looking and plugged in my bench speaker and hit the wrong hole...it was a few minutes before I realized the error of my ways...

Comment

I'm glad to see it's not just us electronically challenged dummies who do that from time to time...my blonde moment was when I reached around behind my MX and plugged in by feel, the speaker cable ended up plugged into the preamp in jack...or was it the power amp out...these days I go ahead and look...
            Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Just want to align myself.

Comment

thanx

yeah, I already learned about the ext speaker jack the hard way. I actually plugged it in wrong first and got 0 sound. I switched the speaker and could hear faint sound at full volume. I currently am finishing up a guitar. When I'm done I'll start checking again.

By the way my other TR has a descent hum. It plays fine and is real loud. The amp was converted by someone else to a black face bias adjust. If I place a low value cap to ground off the unused bias pot lug will this remove the hum without effecting sound quality? Do I need a resistor if I do this?

Comment

Working...
                X