Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class-D Power Amp from a kit/s

Or "class T" whatever that is...

Looking forward (if you can call it that) to lugging my 100 pound PA amp to a gig this weekend has got me thinking about finding a lighter solution. I was thinking about the possiblity of throwing something together from the kits on this site http://www.41hz.com/ , perhaps the truepath amp or two. Anybody have any experience or advice on using stuff like this for a PA amp? I'm sure there's some issue I'm not considering. Always is.

The AMP5 looks like a pretty good choice - 2x100W and the power supply design is done for you. You do have to source an adequate power tranny, but that shouldn't be too hard.

The important thing is going to be the heatsink and how you couple the TA2022 to it. Don't scrimp here - overkill is your path to reliability. Same for the chassis and all the mounting hardware.

The power transformer, heat sink and chassis are the three heaviest things to an amplifier. You may not be saving as much weight as you hope.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Most major amp makers these days offer them or did, find a power amp with a switching power supply. That replaces the old transformer hunk of iron with a modern switcher at a fraction of the weight. Several hundred watts per channel in a 15-20 pound amp. PV made the CS800S, QSC made the POwerlite line and the PLX line and I am sure later models, I know Crest made them.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Should check out the new Yamaha powered mixers with switchmode.
        I can lift a mixer/amp 500wRMS per channel with my little finger (well for 8sec's) only had it to clean out a drink spill..It's a feat of engineering all the panels and air flow guides...not meant for easy service probably 'cause
        it wont break down...hardly ever see yamaha stuff...unless user fault
        well thats my experience

Comment

"Class T" was used by Tripath as a marketing gimmick for their class D offerings. The company has gone out of business a while ago and the supply of chips is quite problematic to say the least.

Re. class D, most offerings use a small amplification module and a bog standard linear power supply for a very small weight advantage. You should consider a class D + switching power supply if you want to minimize size and mass. Companies such as B&O ICEpower, Coldamp, Hypex and others offer a number of modules, some available retail, most only on an OEM basis. Most are designed for domestic applications, with some critical components such as the output inductor dimensioned accordingly. They can't reliably be used in PA applications.

Cost is also a factor. A typical SMPS plus two mid-power amp modules costs app. $600, and you've got to add a case, switches, connectors, etc.

Comment

Thanks folks! I helped a freind build a Tripath based amp from 41hz a couple years ago. I didn't know Tripath had gone under. I maybe should have said that a big motivation for doing something like this from kits is I just really like building stuff, although I admit hoping I could get more bang for the buck and make exactly what I want.

I was thinking of something like 4in/4out for separate monitor mixes or bridged for for a simple mains/monitor mix. I also want a lot of power. I've played in a couple situations where my 800W PA amp was pretty much maxed. I have some rack mount stuff I could gut for a case.

All that being said, with a quick glance through the Full Compass website, I can see that this stuff is pretty dang cheap compared to what it used to be. To the point where it might not be justifiable to make something. No matter how much fun it is.

Comment

Building your own amp is rarely a way to save money, and it often costs more. The value in building is the satisfaction of the work and the learning.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And I was going to say don't buy Coldamp, but it seems like they've gone bust too. I have personal experience of flying MOSFET guts and bad customer service.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ptron View Post
                  Anybody have any experience or advice on using stuff like this for a PA amp? I'm sure there's some issue I'm not considering. Always is.
                  Ptron,

You are missing the point that the weight of an amp is mainly due to heavy power transformer and not the power amp itself. If you replace your amp with a Class-D amp but keep the old power supply, you will not gain anything. The gain in weight is achieved by replacing standard power supply with modern switching power supply. This is done by many companies like e.g. Mackie or Yamaha (and many others).

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
                    Ptron,

You are missing the point that the weight of an amp is mainly due to heavy power transformer and not the power amp itself. If you replace your amp with a Class-D amp but keep the old power supply, you will not gain anything. The gain in weight is achieved by replacing standard power supply with modern switching power supply. This is done by many companies like e.g. Mackie or Yamaha (and many others).

Mark
                    No no, I get this, I had no intention of using an existing power supply. I would use a switching supply. But do you not also save weight because you dont need massive heatsinking?

I know that rolling your own isn't about saving money...I've built plenty of stuff. (I'm also foolish enough to fix things that aren't worth shit because I like doing it) The reason I thought it might be possible in this case is: a)Those kits are fairly inexpensive. b)I have cases, heatsinks and parts lying around that I can use. c)The last time I had priced this stuff out a few years back it was still really expensive. I see that prices have dropped significantly...to the point I really shouldn't consider building my own. Yet for some reason I still am.

Comment

Heatsinks are aluminum, and in my view are not very heavy.

Comment

In that case you may take a look at a thread at http://www.41hz.com/ which discusses the usage of Amp1 class-D as a bass guitar amp (go to "Non-HiFi use" section). Since I play bass guitar, I'm thinking about this as well. But I wouldn't use class-D amp with an instrument like bass guitar without a signal limiter. These amps are very sensitive to large amplitudes. So in your case you need class-D amp, signal limiter and a switching power supply. And as I said, the biggest gain in weight is due to use of switching power supply.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X