Help Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed!!

hi.. i'm a noobie here.. i wanted to ask a question on changing the speaker of an amp.. i've been browsing here, but it seems that i cant understand many of the term, plus i dont have any expirience with modifying amp and electronics stuff..
    my problem is that i have this small solid state amp that uses a 9volt battery n i'm not sure much is the watt of this amp.. its a cheap amp.. the problem is that the speaker produce a cracking sound, i guess the speaker is damaged.. so i was thinking of changing the speaker.. its stated 0.5w, 8 ohm on back of the speaker..
    My question are:-
    1. can I change the speaker with a higher watt but have lower ohm?
    2. will changing the speaker produce different sound?

dats all for now.. i hope u guys can help me with this problems. thanks

You can use a higher wattage,but use 8ohm.A different speaker will produce a different sound.Will it be better?Only way to tell is to try it,but it is a good bet that if you have a cheap speaker,a better speaker should sound better,but it will be limited to how good the amp itself is.A "small solid state amp that uses a 9v battery" doesnt offer much promise.

Comment

Sounds like you've got something like those smokey amps that come in hard pack cigarette boxes. You can change the speaker for a higher wattage one. Every little thing about guitar amps change their sound, and a speaker is a big part of an amps sound, so yes changing it will change the sound.

You describe the crackling, have you checked to see if the speaker is loose or the tabs on the back of it haven't broken and are hitting the speaker?
      -Mike

Comment

thanks 4 the reply... i've been seaching 4 speaker 2day, but it seems 8 ohm speaker are hard 2 find.. can i use 2x4ohms 7 watts speaker?? will my amp can support the speaker??

Comment

If you can fit the 2 speakers,use them wired in series for a total of 8ohms.I am not big on solid state stuff,so it is possible that the output load is not that critical for that amp,but in tube amps a 2ohm (speakers wired parallel) or a 4 ohm load on an 8 ohm out could be bad.

Comment

Working...
          X