"Gibson" cream - screw side bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Gibson" cream - screw side bobbins

I know that there are multiple links in here for different bobbin dealers, but has anyone had any luck finding the "Gibson" cream colored bobbin for the screw side? The cream color is perfect on the ones from allparts and stewmac, but they come with the cream bobbin for the slug side...

I just ordered the screw side bobbin in cream from mojo, but the cream looks more yellow, and I am trying to replace and match the cream on a gibson set that has a damaged coil...

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

C

Originally posted by Chadheckler1 View Post
    I know that there are multiple links in here for different bobbin dealers, but has anyone had any luck finding the "Gibson" cream colored bobbin for the screw side? The cream color is perfect on the ones from allparts and stewmac, but they come with the cream bobbin for the slug side...

I just ordered the screw side bobbin in cream from mojo, but the cream looks more yellow, and I am trying to replace and match the cream on a gibson set that has a damaged coil...

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

C
    The company that makes the bobbins does have cream screw side bobbins, but no one that I know off offers them individually. You have to buy a set of double cream bobbins and then take the screw one out of the set. Allparts probably has them if you phone and ask. Allparts and Stewmac are the same bobbins.

b.

Comment

Never mind I phoned allparts and they dont sell them. Dimarzio threatened them and they cant sell them. However they ARE made, but probably difficult to find in america.

Comment

I take it you are fixing a fairly new Gibson pup. The new ones are way off in color compared to the older Gibson pups. The cream has that weird peachy tint to them now a days. I don't think you will find a screw side one like that one here in the states. IMHO The Mojo ones actually look more authentic in color to me : ) I like to use them because of that. I can't stand those peachy looking ones I've gotten out of disappointment from several of the other suppliers in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
          Never mind I phoned allparts and they dont sell them. Dimarzio threatened them and they cant sell them.
          That cracks me up (not) because on the Dimarzio website it says:

What is the "standard" color for DiMarzio® pickups?

Unless otherwise noted, the standard color for all full-sized Humbuckers, Soap Bars, Tele, Bass and Acoustic pickups is black. The standard color for all Strat replacement pickups is white. The standard finish on pickups with metal covers is polished nickel.
          What happened to cream being their color?
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I E-mailed them a while ago and asked if there was anyway I could pay a licencing fee to be able to use double cream. I offered $5 / set which is INSANE.

They said forget it.

Comment

All luck is not lost. Find some plastic or nylon dowels that are 3/16'' dia. Glue them into the bottom of the slug holes leaving a recessed top for the screw head. Drill the top down to the dowel the same diameter as the screw head. Drill a 3/32'' hole through the center of the holes and viola. You have a screw side bobbin. More work than necessary but way less work than shopping around and finding nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                I E-mailed them a while ago and asked if there was anyway I could pay a licencing fee to be able to use double cream. I offered $5 / set which is INSANE.

They said forget it.
                Ever notice how Carvin and Bill Lawrence both offer double cream bobbins?

Just do bobbins without 6 poles on each, and you are good to go. DiMarzio's trademark is for double cream with 6 poles on each.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

there's a way around DM. Do what they did on their original phony PAF pickups back when they first started making them. They used SLUG bobbins for both coils, the screw heads are sunk down enough to stabilize the top and the screws are THREADED into the keeper bar and base, simple. Or buy bobbins from Guitar Jones or Mojo, they are WSC bobbins and yes they are a yellowish tint but oh well, still double creme.....
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Does anyone know what the red material they made the bobbin out of was?

Comment

One annoying thing as that there is actually a production advantage to using cream bobbins. It is much quicker to mount the pigtail start lead into a cream bobbin than it is to mount one to a black bobbin.
                      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                      www.throbak.com
                      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                        One annoying thing as that there is actually a production advantage to using cream bobbins. It is much quicker to mount the pigtail start lead into a cream bobbin than it is to mount one to a black bobbin.
                        Even with your eyes closed, and in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          there's a way around DM. Do what they did on their original phony PAF pickups back when they first started making them. They used SLUG bobbins for both coils, the screw heads are sunk down enough to stabilize the top and the screws are THREADED into the keeper bar and base, simple. Or buy bobbins from Guitar Jones or Mojo, they are WSC bobbins and yes they are a yellowish tint but oh well, still double creme.....
                          I started posting this yesterday, but must have forgotten to hit Submit.

I have a DiMarzio Al Di Meola model here, and they do use two slug coils, because that's what they use with their allen key poles.

The ADM model uses cap head hex screws, that are more the size of PAF screws, with a taller head... they actually have a knurled surface like a Fender speed knob. I guess they are thumb screws. They are threaded into the baseplate, and it has a cast alnico magnet with two keeper bars that are not threaded.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it's supposed to be a hotter PAF... it's 10K. It's a pretty pickup, it's matt black, and all the metal parts are gold plated. I'm going to put it in my First Act GarageMaster.

Comment

I will give it a try...

Originally posted by voodoochild View Post
                            All luck is not lost. Find some plastic or nylon dowels that are 3/16'' dia. Glue them into the bottom of the slug holes leaving a recessed top for the screw head. Drill the top down to the dowel the same diameter as the screw head. Drill a 3/32'' hole through the center of the holes and viola. You have a screw side bobbin. More work than necessary but way less work than shopping around and finding nothing.
                            I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this! Thanks for the tip... I normally don't care about the shade of the cream, but I wanted this particular set to match.

Comment

Ask Allparts for Reverse Zebra !

A few years ago I got some from Allparts,they had a verry nice cream colour.
                              I did not order double cream but I asked them for REVERSE ZEBRA (hehe..) and so there was no problem because they match the Stewmac bobbins I had all options.

The funny thing is that most german guitarists do not like double-cream because it looks to Dimarvio.

If I remember right Montreux is not offering double cream on his website but he is able to sell you some if you will order a large bulk.
                              cheers
                              david

Comment

Working...
                              X