Need help.. hissing amp!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help.. hissing amp!!

I need some advise on a problem that I just encountered today with my amp. I have an old Harmony h415 2x12 combo and was playing and it. Suddenly the thing started hissing and getting louder and louder (Never done that before). I unplugged my cord and it still was hissing at me. Shut it off, warmed it back up and the moment i turned off the standby switch the sound was back. I'm scared to turn the thing back on in case it fries. So I want to know, could this simply be a tube problem or possibly a cap/wiring problem (heaven forbid).

If you haven't recently made any modifications to the circuit and the tubes are old ( as in, you can't remember when they were last changed) then it could be tube related. I will guess a preamp tube. Try pulling tubes to isolate the problem. Pull the first tube, if the hiss stops replace that tube. If there is no change pull the second tube. Etc. You may want to try to clean and retention the tube sockets also. This would be a good place to start.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Or output tubes (When output tubes are on their way out, they can hiss and crackle). Try swapping in new output tubes and see
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
      X