Sovtek mig 60 mods ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek mig 60 mods ?

Have a Mig 60 with good cleans but the high input runs really ratty , as opposed to rich and creamy....any good advice would be appreciated as there isn't much info on these.

Its basically a JCM800 style amp with some changes.
    http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/sovtek_mig60.pdf

FIrst off I'd change the first stage grid ref to 1m (instead of the 470k), add a 68k grid stopper for that stage. Change all the coupling caps to .01u, change the first 2 stage cathode resistors to 2.7k. Bypass the first stage cathode R with a .68u, the second with a 1k in series with a .68u. Move the pre level pot from after the second stage to after the first. Change the first stage output coupling R to 470k. Since the pre gain pot was moved you need to add a 470k grid ref for the third stage. I like a .001u to gnd after the first stage coupling cap and a 470p to gnd after the second.....keeps the squeaky highs under control.

I'm starting to put together mod kits for various amps I've put this preamp circuit in. They'll be hitting Ebay once I get all the documentation in order.

Here's some noodley sound clips of a Carvin X100B with this circuit in it...should give you an idea of what it sounds like. I recorded them at a low vol 'cause I didn't want to roast the antique Jensen speaker....so it gets even more full sounding at stage vol with a 4-12 cab.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=890670

No channel switching was used....just the overdrive ch for everything. I use .001u bypass caps on my guitar vol pots so I can use various settings to get various tones without the mud. I think of it as a remote amp gain control 'cause thats pretty much what it does.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

hello , i am getting ready to attempt your mig 60 mod. can you clarify the placement of the 470k resistor in the 3rd stage once the 1M preamp pot is moved? thanks for any help!

Comment

Working...
      X