want to mod JCM800 (2210), more gain needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard333 View Post
    There is no "free triode" in a 2210. The only way to create one would be to "steal" the effects loop recovery stage.
    In post #24, HTH mentions bypassing V2A so it becomes "free".

Originally posted by hotguit View Post
    switching green wires as in HTH schem is the free triode ready to work or it needs to be rewired for working as added gain stage?
    I mean, i had ONLY to switch the green wires and i am done?
    It needs to be rewired to use it as a gain stage. Switching the green wire only frees it up for use elsewhere. It will be doing nothing until you wire it up to do something.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If you bypass V2a you lose a stage off the clean channel, not necessarily a bad thing. My method is a little different; I remove the clean channel from V1 and rewire V2 and the tone stack as a Blackface Fender Bandmaster clean channel. I've never been a huge fan of clean and gain channels sharing an early stage because the things that make one sound good are diametrically opposite for the other. I run the input in parallel into V1, now gain channel only, and V2. You also end up getting more gain out of the gain channel since the clean tone stack isn't dragging it down, and you can tame the added high end easily with a plate bypass cap.

While you're in there, get rid of that ridiculous input cap and put a proper grid stopper in. These amps are well known for their tendency to have "Nigel at the Air Force Base" moments, you can shut that down by putting that grid stopper in.

Comment

Hi
        very interesting wizard.
        Can you achieve a "real" clean channel and a gainer dirty channel with your mod?
        can you share the schem or the info?
        I'm very interested in it.
        thank you
        hotguit

Comment

Yes; see my PM.

Comment

I would leave it as is and add a clean boost pedal ahead for solos.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              I would leave it as is and add a clean boost pedal ahead for solos.
              mmmhhh and what about clean channel? (the less clean in the amp world)
              hot

Comment

Hey Wizard,

I was perusing through the forum and ran across this old thread of you talking about mods to the 2205 circuit. You made it sound like little needs to be done to make them monstrous.
                I do have 2 2205's that I'd like to mod. They are both later versions, an 89 and a 90.

They sound great after new filter caps and a fresh set of tubes. After reading this thread about some of the mods you've done to yours, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share the mods you've done. I'd love to hear yours but Nashville is a haul since Im in Rhode Island. lol
                Do you have schematics of the mods or list of the changes? I hope Im not being too foward in asking.

I was looking to add more gain, lose the flubbyness when running it with the "big and huge settings", separate the master & the clean channel enough to where its somewhat useful all while making it sing a little better than they already do. Also, is there some trick to getting the sweet spot at a lower volume? It sounds incredible with the master on 3 or 4 with the channel G&V dimed but its already stupid loud on 1. lol.

Thank you in advanced for any help you could throw my way

Comment

another resource could be EE /metal guitarist Matt Weed's site
                  Electronic States

I've had the best luck using google to search his site for specific models

Comment

Thank you Tedmich. Wizards mods were exactly what I was looking for but I'll give it a look and see if I can find something there.
                    Thank you bud.

Comment

Thank you Wizard for the help. I'll post the results.

Comment

Hi beëlzeM!
                        I know it's a bit late,(since it's a 10+ years post),but did u get finally the mods on the 2210?I'm currently resides in the Dutch and i have a 4211,and also looking for mods but it's kinda "dark wooddoo" to find anyone who knows anything about it!!!
                        Thnx,

Comment

Working...
                        X