X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• el34 pp cathode bias amp clip and Power supply // earth ground question

Hi there,
    1.) this is a very basic question and I apologize for it:
    - building my last amps i used classic PTs and connected the mains earth to the chassis and there i also connected the ground coming from my full bridge diode rectifier and therefore the ground of the whole circuit
    - now I am about to build a power supply with a 12 Volt ac wall wart and a 12 to 230 Volt transformer. (12 Volt for the filaments and the stepped up 230 Volt for the B+)
    - there is only 2 AC cords coming from the wall wart , no way to earth-ground the chassis.
    - if i connect the bridge rectifier ground to the chassis, will this mean there is say 290 volt on the chassis?
    - thanks for any comments

2.) As i am a plague to this forum with my stupid questions i though it might be a little releave to give you a small clip recorded with my final version of the EL34 PP Amp i worked on since february. I totally rebuild it at last, with cathode bias and a second tube/diode clipper channel, so have fun with it and be forgiving to all my silly questions ;-)
    Attached Files

no suggestions to my power supply question?

Comment

I can't really answer your question but I wanted to bring up the issue of current and that 12vac wall wart. Are you sure the wall wart can handle all that current?

Comment

The simple answer to your question is no, there won't be 290V on your chassis. But there will leakage current from the wall wart that may give you a tingle (mild electrical shock) if you touch the chassis and an earth ground. This is a safety issue and may violate rules in your country. You should research your country's safety rules or find a wall wart that provides a ground. A similar method is used by Hoffman in one of his projects.

http://www.el34world.com/projects/tube_box.htm
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Aren't wall warts typically isolated from the mains via their transformer, hence you only need the 2 wires? Otherwise we'd all be getting zapped by delays & tubescreamers?

If wall warts had a mains ground we'd all get ground loop hum from them too.

Wall warts in the EU still only have 2 conductors, + & -.

Comment

Thank you for your replies:
            @mattT: its a single tube design with a pcl86 which is a triode and a power pentode in a single envelope, the step up transfomer has 500 mA that will be enough for the plate current) the wall wart has 5 A so thats more than enough for the heater
            @MWJB: my intention was that if i build up a high voltage and ground it to the chassis, this voltage would leak through my hand or guitar cabel to ground.
            therefor i am now thinking of isolating the whole circuit from the chassis.
            iam not afraid of the 12 volt but of the 290volt dc i create out of it
            @louthud: i think i'll just build it and then measure the voltage on the chassis to mains earth.
            thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X