Computer can't keep time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer can't keep time?

I have tried multiple recording programs including but not limited to ACID music studio 6, Audacity, and Mixcraft. It appears that the first track usually lays down fine (in mixcraft it is out of time with the metronome), but the track that is recorded after that one seems to slow down ever so slightly. What I did to test this was record a song played by my computer and make it track 1. track 1 was then recorded to track two, and at the end of a 7 minute song was often 7 or 8 seconds behind track 1. This obviously makes recording impossible.
    My recording setup is:
    Source > Microphone > Mixer > Soundcard. I generally use an SM57 or a pair of Senhieser 935s, an analog Peavey mixer, and a Soundblaster X-Fi audio card.

Any help would be appriciated.

Sounds like computer latency to me. My computer is a bit old, and it does the same thing.

Comment

You need a faster computer and/or a better soundcard. Look for a card that supports ASIO.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

In the meantime, download the free "ASIO4all" and see if that helps.

Brad1

Comment

Also, Firewire interfaces have less latency than USB - which are you using?
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
            Also, Firewire interfaces have less latency than USB - which are you using?
            A Soundblaster X-Fi, he says. Which is much of his problem. A FireWire interface will give you better results...but that even depends on the FireWire chipset. Research before you buy. Know what's in your computer, and what you need to make sure it plays together nicely.

Brad1

Comment

So latency doesn't make the sound reach the computer a milisecond late, it actually gets slower and slower throughout the song?

Would it be better to record with another card I have? Its a Soundblaster Live 24-bit. If these two cards (live and x-fi) are not adequate, what card(s) would be recommended? The friend who lent me the senhieser mics also has a presonus firewire setup, but I dont want to ask him to lend me even more expensive equiptment. I don't think that my computer is the issue although it is about four years old. It was built with some quality components for the time but I dont know how that compares to today's standards with all the PCI-E and such. My budget is really only about $20 at the moment but any advice on what parts would be the critical would be appriciated. I am going to try the ASIO driver that came with the card, and if that fails I will try ASIO4All.
              THanks for the help.

Comment

I use my stock soundcard with ASIO4ALL on my laptop, and keep the latency issues down to a minimum by only playing one or two tracks at a time, and only monitor if I'm worried about subtle tonal inflection on the guitar. Also, just make a click track and play to that, while watching the other tracks roll by. Time yourself to that.

I noticed, at least with my computer, that ASIO works very low latency, Directsound "slows down", and the Conexant sound input thingy breaks up.

Comment

Bin the Soundblaster, I did and it was only a week old.
                  I suggest an M-Audio card. I have the M-Audio 2496 (PCI). Also, I don`t like USB for audio (or video) interfaces as I`ve had too much trouble wih them in the past.
                  As long as you get a card that is compatible with ASIO drivers your latency problems should be a thing of the past.
                  Goo luck.

Comment

I use the X-fi card with cubase and tons of plugins and tracks with no problems at all. It is ASIO compatible. While I don't recommend the card simply because creative drivers suck, I wouldn't throw it away until you've tried to change the buffering settings. Latency at 5ms with the Creative driver is about the best you're going to get, and the ASIO4ALL driver should be no lower than 128 samples. 288 samples seems to be more reliable for me though. If you use the standard Creative drivers for your X-fi you should make sure your audio console settings are set to "Audio Creation Mode". If it's not then you will have problems.

I hope this helps.

Wade

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with the sound card. I thinks it's the disk drive. The elastic that turns the drive is worn out. Replace the drive and that should better the performance.

~ Sam
                      [SIZE="1"][url=http://bookit.com/caribbean/jamaica/]negril hotels[/url]|[URL="http://bookit.com/mexico/cancun/"]cancun hotels[/URL][/SIZE]

Comment

More Reading

Some links here that may be useful

Tuning Windows XP
                        Oct 06, 2003 - Contributed By dB Masters
                        Getting the highest performance out of Windows XP.
                        Tuning Windows XP - Computer Based - Home Recording Studio Help

Focusrite Answerbase
                        Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows XP
                        Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows XP .: Focusrite Answerbase

Cakewalk
                        Tuning Windows XP for Audio
                        Tuning Windows XP for Audio

For this one you have to register as he was getting too much traffic !
                        Tuning Windows XP for Audio-Music
                        User Log In

Comment

Originally posted by SamTHorn View Post
                          I don't think it has anything to do with the sound card. I thinks it's the disk drive. The elastic that turns the drive is worn out. Replace the drive and that should better the performance.
                          I've been replacing the belts on all of my hard drives when they start getting old and slow. A drop or two of belt conditioner will extend the life of the new belt considerably.

A Google search for "hard drive belt" came up with many hits; this was the one listed first:

DIY Hard Drive Belt Buckle : TreeHugger

Steve Ahola
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                            Some links here that may be useful...
                            Thanks a lot for all of those links! In addition to the wealth of knowledge behind the links you want to investigate the recommendations from the companies who developed the DAW software and hardware. And check out any forum that the vendor might have on their site; sometimes you get the best tips from people who are using the same hardware or software as you.

I do think that the most important advice is to take the name "Digital Audio Workstation" literally. Have a computer that you use only for your digital recording studio so that there isn't crap running in the background that you don't need and can cause glitches, etc. Some people have suggested having a second partition on their main computer just for running the DAW software, but items plugged into the computer can effect both partitions. So only if you don't have the room or the money would I recommend the dual partition idea; I like having my DAW rig in my music room and not in my computer room, but that is just my own preference.

Important advice #2: Once you have your computer and DAW set up properly, don't mess with any updates of your OS or programs unless there is some feature that you absolutely need. And be sure to investigate them thoroughly. I would turn off the internet so that you don't have to run anti-malware programs, and maybe connect to your own network only when you need to transfer files (or whatever). Less is more.

Look at all of the devices with embedded computers today (refrigerators, dishwashers, watches, DVD players). If they are working properly you normally do not need to update the operating system or programming; most of them (besides home video equipment) have no port to communicate with the embedded computer anyway. If really necessary you might have to replace a ROM chip.

My point is to consider your DAW rig to be just like an appliance with an embedded computer. It is usually okay to add new plug-ins, but I would investigate any updates or upgrades to your plug-ins, your operating system and your DAW software. "If it is working, why fix it?"

I never hear of a person using the computer in their refrigerator for word processing or in their dishwasher to browse the internet.

And with that I will end my little pep talk or rant, as the case might be.

Steve Ahola
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:
                            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

This really sounds like an issue with whatever software you're using. The audio driver really only has to do with latency, and the hardware of the interface can affect A/D performance as well, but if you're playing back audio that's already recorded, that should have nothing to do with the audio hardware or the drivers.

I've never used any of the software you're talking about, audacity is a good free audio editor but it isn't really a good DAW. I haven't touched ACID since the 90s (in more ways than one ), and I've never heard of mixcraft.

I can suggest Reaper. It's inexpensive and the demo has no limitations whatsoever so you lose nothing by trying that, and if you have the same problem I can walk you through a solution - there is also a very active forum for Reaper. It's also just a great DAW at any price.

Comment

Working...
                              X