JW Tools Mini Winder:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JW Tools Mini Winder:

I had bought it some time ago and I totally forgot about it.
    Yesterday I found time to make some new parts for it on the lathe and gave the winder a test run today.I had a good result on hand (guided)winding a FAT `51 Preci-Pickup.
    I think this is a good tool to start with if someone is searching for a little winder and has the time to tweak it a bit.
    Here some pics:
    Attached Files

Dave,
    How much does one of these cost? Did you find this one used?
    http://www.nbft.cn/enproducts_detail.asp?id=94

Comment

Hello David,
      yes I bought it from JWtools on ebay.com.I think it was around 120 us $ plus the shipping.I thought it was verry inexpensive and grabbed one.

I had to make a new pulley to slow it down because it was runnig too fast.

Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coils-Winder-Tra...3286.m20.l1116

Comment

I remember when you got this winder. What do all the controls do? Does it just program the number of turns?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yes Dave,
          that is a good question!
          I lost the manual-I do not know what all these button are for.
          Cheers
          david

Comment

I use the same winder and have also changed the pulley to slow it down. I've also found I can use my left hand directly on the spinning disc with a felt pad as a speed control.

The buttons program speed, and multiple speeds through a program if you want, along with turns count. I just keep it on the slowest speed and program the number of turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
              Hello David,
              yes I bought it from JWtools on ebay.com.I think it was around 120 us $ plus the shipping.I thought it was verry inexpensive and grabbed one.

I had to make a new pulley to slow it down because it was runnig too fast.

Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coils-Winder-Tra...3286.m20.l1116

I've bought same winder to try on scattered pickups. Where you find new pulley?

"We' ve been making overclocked pickups since 1983"

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
                I've bought same winder to try on scattered pickups. Where you find new pulley?
                He said he made a new pulley.

You might be able to get a pulley from McMaster-Carr. I seem to think the first time this winder was discussed someone posted some links for pulleys.

I've been thinking of picking one of these up at some point as a basis for a new winder. I just have to come up with a tensioner and traverse for it.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  He said he made a new pulley.

You might be able to get a pulley from McMaster-Carr. I seem to think the first time this winder was discussed someone posted some links for pulleys.

I've been thinking of picking one of these up at some point as a basis for a new winder. I just have to come up with a tensioner and traverse for it.
                  Thanx for infos. I found an alumunium pulley here in Italy. I'm going to modify electronic also to reduce turns.

Actually my pickups production is made with 3 Siemens HWM 602 computerized windings machines, I bought this chinese tool just to do some scattered wound on flight.

Comment

Hello,
                    I do not know a source for ready made pulleys with this large diameter here in europe.
                    Had mine machined myself to reduce the speed.
                    I am using a industrial winder and a selfmade Lollar-winder wich are great for small series.But the JW is great to wind on the fly.Set up the automatic machines sometimes takes too much time.

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
                      Hello,
                      I do not know a source for ready made pulleys with this large diameter here in europe.
                      Had mine machined myself to reduce the speed.
                      I am using a industrial winder and a selfmade Lollar-winder wich are great for small series.But the JW is great to wind on the fly.Set up the automatic machines sometimes takes too much time.
                      Here you'll find a lots of aluminium pulleys
                      http://www.fmv.it/
                      They are a very nice persons supporting you to find right pulley for your purpose. I will pay less than 40 € for a 106 mm diam.

Comment

Does the machine have an auto-stop feature when it reaches a set number of turns?

Jim
                        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                          Does the machine have an auto-stop feature when it reaches a set number of turns?

Jim

You have more features, Jim: you can set 20 programmable memory banks and for each you can choice max turn; it automatically stops, and using a buttom (or a switch pedal) you can stop wounding in every moment, restarting from the turn numbers done.

In addiction, for whole memory banks you can choice ramp points (it gradually encrease and decrease speed on start and end wounding) and speed. You have 4 speeds available, but they are not suitable fou pickups purposes; minimum speed is 2000 RPS, to much; you have to decrease speeds encreasing pulley diameter.

Piero

Comment

Working...
                          X