Harmonics sound on 12th fret of my Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonics sound on 12th fret of my Strat

Somebody please help Me. when I play on my 12th fret i get a dual tone. I keep playing with My truss rod adjustment to no avail. I changed the string and that didn't help. Does anyone know what My problem is?

Sounds like wolf tones to me, this occurs when your single coil pickups are to close to your strings. I used to play strats in a club band and ran into that after adjusting my pickups closer to the strings and then found out that I had to lower the pickups away from the strings to fix this. The magnetic pull from your pickups cause wolftones (wable tone at the 12th fret)) if they are too close.

Maybe some one else can chime in as that is the only thing I can think of.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

Sounds like wolf tones to me, this occurs when your single coil pickups are to close to your strings.
      Agreed.Strat pickups are prone to do this when set to close to the strings.Lower the pickups and the problem should go away.

Comment

Yes, especially on under the lower strings. You need to angle them lower on the bass side than the treble side.

This is commonly known as "Stratitus". The magnets are pulling the strings out of tune.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

magnetic fields

I agree with Dave N on this, the magnetic field of the pick up can cause changes in the ellipictal movement of the strings. this is even more so with the bass strings due to the lower sound frequency and slower vibration rate. This can give false tones. Also have you set the innotation of the strings, changes in truss rod adjustmets and string gauge can cause the tone to sound off. Set your neck and string hight to your preferance and set the innotation, while doing this lower the pick ups all the way down to avoid magnetic influance on the strings. Once set raise them one at time, deepress both E strings at the last fret and set the pick up 1/8th inch from the string.Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X