Converting a tube amp 110v to 220v for Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a tube amp 110v to 220v for Europe

Hi, i just registered, but am not new to the forums, I have a question for those in the know...

I'm going back home to Europe in a month, and wanted to buy a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp (15w) before i left, now i did a lot of searches and googling, and found a some information on how to convert the 110v to 220v (fact being some people say that transformers dont correctly convert the voltage or hertz requirements, doubling or halving the power in certain cases) and now i'm even more confused...

Basically, what would i have to do to convert a 110v american amp to 220v for use in Europe without any loss in voltage, power, hertz, etc.... any help would be great...thanks...

The Blues Jr is one of those amps that doesn't have a voltage selector. Instead Fender sell a different model for each country.

There might be a voltage jumper inside that you can change if you're handy with a soldering iron, but I can't guarantee it.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Buy a 110 to 220v step up transformer, 100-150W rating...see Maplin, RS components etc.

Comment

You could get a step down transformer for it, but the simple solution to me is to replace the existing power transformer with the export transformer version from Fender. That part number is 049968. In the USA they usually come with the 049967 transformer which is 120v only. The export transformer has the added bonus of covering 100/115/230/240 volts. SO you could easily switch back to US voltage if you wanted. The amplifier schematic shows the various wiring patterns for the different mains voltages it covers.

You would also want to change the mains fuse value as appropriate.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

How easy is it for a Joe Q. Public to get the export transformer?

I can't help feeling that the easiest solution is to buy a Blues Jr. in Europe, it's not like they only sell them in America. They may be cheaper in the states, but by the time you add the cost of the export PT, and paying someone to fit it if you're not happy wielding a wrench and soldering iron yourself, it's probably not such a bargain.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_blues_junior.htm

Of course the step down transformer will work, if you don't mind carrying one around with the amp.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Sure that is an option.

I think we can order the part from Fender - you can order Fender parts from Fender dealers. But if Joe Q. Public can't buy them here, over where the export amps are sold, that transformer would be the common one, and I suspect Jaques Q Publique could get them.

That amp looked to be selling for 470 Euros. Selling price here is about $480 at MF. The Dollar/Euro exchange being about 1:1.34 today, makes that about $160 higher cost for Jaques. And that is what I'd compare to the cost of a transformer. SO would it be worth the difference in price to swap transformers when you get there?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

"But if Joe Q. Public can't buy them here, over where the export amps are sold, that transformer would be the common one, and I suspect Jaques Q Publique could get them." Waiting time for a Fender transformer in Europe is about one year! Seriously, no joke! Had a guy come to me with a blown OT, rang Fender Europe & ROI, confirmed they had 3 in stock but wouldn't sell direct to me. Gave me the number for a retail outlet & order was placed...5 MONTHS later got bored of waiting & found equivalent part at Mojo cancelled order with Fender & was told, by their recommended retailer, that there was still no sign of the OT I ordered and unlikely to be for another 6 months.

Comment

OK, I stand corrrected. We could check with Fender USA for stock. Or go with a aftermarket vendor.

Kinda like getting Marshall parts over here, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Kinda like getting Marshall parts over here, then.
                  Seems to be an exact analogue, yep.

Marshall parts over here in the uk - wonderful service, no charge for small parts, trade prices for approved technicians including the little guy, helpful personal service, stuff arrives the next day or the day after.

Fender parts in the UK - yes, lead times of one year are quoted often, which has to mean forget it basically.

Comment

Buy a Variac

Variacs (variable output stepdown transformers), are external components that will accept 220-240V (covers Europe and UK), depending on model. These are easy to get, and work well (be careful of output voltage setting before you turn it on!). They are heavy (10+ lbs), so plan on the weight.
                    50Hz Euro line frequency will not affect tube amps ("hum" has lower pitch), but if you have any digital components(onboard effects, etc.), you my want to check with mfgr. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X