VHT mods? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT mods? Anyone?

I have a VHT Pittbull 50 CL with a 6 band EQ. I love the amp. To death. And for live situations it suits me perfectly. However in studio application I wish it had a few differences.

I figure this is the best place to ask about modding the amp myself.

The gain is slightly lower then I prefer. I usually like to pair lower gain pickups with higher gain amps. The 6505 with a PRS using the Dragon II is wonderful. However the VHT is a little on the weaker side of gain for this type of set up. I don't need it to over saturate like the 6505 does. Just a bit more gain is all.

Also it kind of seems like there is a lot more compression on the low end of the amp. It doesn't have nearly the punch I'd like it to.

Anyone with any suggestions on how to go about increasing these characteristics? Would it be more of a pre amp solution with the gain and power amp with the punch? Honestly I'd hope I could magically solve both in the green channel pre amp section just for that channel in specific.

Also any rundown on how these amps operate internally would be wonderful just to give me a better understanding of how they work so I can solve future issues a little more independently.

I'm also interesting in adjusting harmonic distortion.

I'm guessing a modification for adding adjustable tube biasing would be helpful here.

I suppose I'm most interested in what Enzo might have to say. I think remember reading somewhere that he has some experience working with VHT's.

Comment

We need to know the schematic of your amp to start talking about mods

If you can draw the schem will be of great help

CU

Comment

I know it's heresy, but the right pedal in front might just do it. Perhaps Malmsteens DOD booster, a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive (hey it's true bypass) or others more exotish. Sometimes a bit of square-waving adds the Incision factor otherwise speaker distortion can too - as in Greenbacks.

VHT are near the best amps I've played through.

Comment

If it suits you perfectly for your live situation, I'd say don't modify it. You might not be able to get it back to that perfect sound that you love about it right now, and that would definitely be a bummer.

I would suggest either 1.working with the engineer/producer to help find another recording technique that translates your live tone better. Or 2.Find an amp that can get you the tone your looking for when you're in the studio.

That's just my two cents.

Comment

VHT schematics are pretty rare; they never leave the factory apparently. The Sloclone guys mapped out a Deliverance recently but that's the only one I know of...

(PM if you'd like a copy)

Comment

Working...
            X