NOS Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Source

Does anyone know a good source for NOS tubes at resonable prices?

Depends on what you consider reasonable.I've spent years going thru ham fests and electronic flea markets and have a good supply of NOS tubes,but they are drying up,at least here in my area.I have also found,and still do,many good "bargains" on eBay,I actually have enough tubes to last my sons for the rest of their lives,and we have about 20 guitar amps as well as a few tube powered effects,all filled with NOS tubes,and enough spares,all marked as to what they will go into with no bias adjustments.Of course,you will have to cull out some less than ideal specimens,but overall,I am still way ahead of the game $$$ wise.The prices that suppliers charge nowadays is out of control.The only time I go to them is when doing a repair or a build for someone else who wants to pay those prices.Occasionally I will give a good customer something out of my personal collection,but only if I have extra of the same.Here is an example of probably the best deal I ever got at a hamfest.I saw a quad of RCA blackplate 6L6GC's on a guys table.I asked what he wanted for them,he said he couldnt remember what he paid back in the '60's,but it must have been around $25 or $30,and since he never used them,because they became "obsolete" when SS radios came about,he thought $30 would be fair.I gave him $50 and said keep the change.He also had a matched pair of GEC KT66's,never used,since they were premium "imports" he wanted $100-he got it as well.So,if you are willing to get out there and look,you can find some great tubes at great prices.As far as the dealers go,if you are willing to spend,most of them will give you good tested NOS tubes with some sort of warranty.When looking for NOS tubes for a guitar amp,I would suggest that you dont overlook used old stock,much of the used surplus you see were used in radios and older circuits that didnt put a lot of stress on the tubes and they still have a lot of useful life in them.

Comment

I have three tube amps (two for guitar/bass and one in my stereo) and they're all running used tubes, mostly pulled from scrapped lab equipment.

I haven't had one fail on me yet, though I sometimes come across preamp tubes that I can't use because they hiss, pop, or hum too much.

I finally had to give in and buy a few 12AT7s and 12AU7s from Watford Valves, and they had some NOS RFT and JAN Philips tubes at about 20 bucks each.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Good advice.I will start watching for swap meets and such.I bought from a reputable NOS dealer very recently,Monday,and am very pleased with the tubes I received.But I don't think I can let myself pay that much money for tubes again,at least not while I remember the sting(in my wallet!)
        Used is probably the best way to go,from a dealer.
        Thank you for the advice.

Comment

I've always had good experiences with Mike at KCA.
          http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/

Comment

Working...
          X