~100w amp with 6bl8 preamp and PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~100w amp with 6bl8 preamp and PI

i've just finished my latest amp project. its a 100w amp designed for guitar or bass. theres a fair bit of writing so i put a couple questions in bold for anyone skimming who would like to help.

i got some old transformers from a guy with a bit of a collection. he gave me some 6bl8's and told me to try them instead of the ef86's i was thinking of using. 6bl8's are a pentode/triode tube that were used in the tuning of tv's/radio's, but they sound great in MI amps. the amp is quite simple, with an input into a pentode gain stage> volume > triode cathode follower> marshallish tone stack> pentode gain stage+ -ve feedback > split cathode phase inverter.
    the output will run 4 6l6 or el34's, but i have a pair of 6550's in it at the moment as i havent bought the tubes that i will run it with yet.

i had a bit of trouble getting it running well as the bias pot i bought was faulty (wiper connection was intermittent) and the 6bl8's i tried first were bad. when i got a good one i didnt think it was working again as there was no audiable hum. when i touched the input it gave that buzz i wasnt expecting. the amp has virtually no hum!!!!

the amp sounds great with the 6550's in it (16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm tap to match the impedance as well as possible).

the tone stack is very similar to a marshall, but has a mid shift control (a variable resistance in series with a cap, in paralell with the cap for the mids, which is a higher value than usual. the mid frequency should be adjustable from 250-1khz. this is pretty useful. there is a switch to lift the ground from the tone stack as well.

the transformers and choke were pulled from old equipment by the guy i bought them off. the pt is apparently from a tv from the 40's or 50's. the ot and choke seem old as well.

i elevated the heaters 60v so the max cathode to heater voltage of 100v wasnt exceeded in the cathode follower. this probably helped eliminate some hum as well. i used some copper tape to shield signal cables early in the amp by taping them to the chassis (the sticky side conducts). worked well, but looks a bit messy. i used tag strips either side of the tube sockets for the preamp circuitry. this means there arent any long cable runs. in the preamp.

the -ve feedback has a spdt switch to change the resistance from ~7k to 11k to 18k. its a nice feature, but it created a bit of a mess with wires going from the jacks on the back, to the front and then to the preamp circuit. the bias circuit and the high voltage supplies seem to be a bit awkwardly placed as well, and meant there are some annoying wires in the amp that could look nicer, but they arent signal so they dont effect the sound/hum levels.

the plates are on 384v with the 2 6550's in, but for some reason the grid#2 is at the same potential. thats after going through the choke (40 ohms out of circuit) and a 470 ohm resistor. the ot windings only dropped around 5v. is this unusual? the circuit is designed for 6l6's or el34's, as opposed to the 6550's in there.

the 6550's are quite different in terms of their current. there is a difference of ~10mA. switching sides means the current follows the tube, so its not a circuit or ot issue. this strikes me as strange though as there is no/very little hum.

the amp sounds great. i've plugged it into an inefficient 4x12 (my 2x10 with warehouse guitar speakers in it is noticeable louder, those speakers are supposedly 96db/1w 1m). the 4x12 has some old australian made alnico speakers that sound great and mellow in it. the amp sounds great clean, and really lets the guitars tone shine through. cranking the vol with the 2 6550's gives a great chunky sound. i could get some nice feedback from my selfmade walnut guitar when i put the 2 singlecoils in series. the tonestack works very well to vary the sound. lifting to ground from the tonestack works well to get a nice middy sound, and sounded nice when turned up.

does anyone have any reccomendations as to what tubes i should put in it? im thinking jj el34's as i can get them quite reasonably. im also thinking maybe some 6l6's, but not sure which. a guy i tend to get my tubes from seems to have jj's at good prices, are their 6l6's good? im not really sure if i want 6l6's or el34's. i dont really know wether i want to use it for guitar or bass more, but i play bass in a trio, so maybe i should try to suit that. any advice/tips?

i'll post some pics in the next day or so. if anyone wants to see a schematic im happy to scan it and post it up as well.

Hi there black_labb

Yes I am interested in schematic & pics please.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

theres the schematic. should have it all there other than the ot and the -ve feedback loop. photos to come soon.

Comment

heres the inside. a bit ratty with some wires crossing the whole amp, but their not signal wires atleast. notice how i used spade connections for the grounding of the putput tubes. this makes resetting the bias very easy as all you need to do is unplug them, and connect a 1ohm resistor to either side with some alligator clips.

heres the gear i tested it with. both instruments i made myself as well as the 1x15 cab which i need to make a grillcloth for.

heres the amp from the front

heres the amp from the rear

i plan on putting it into a shell. i'm thinking maybe a black vinyl one with timber front and rear. i can do some simple inlay for logo's and add some slits using the router for ventilation.

Comment

the PI and feedback stages are based on the playmaster 116. its the only amp i've seen with a 6bl8 in it.

heres a schematic of it http://www.ozvalveamps.elands.com/pl...aymast_116.jpg

Comment

Looks pretty cool, nice guitars too
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thanks steve. should end up getting it into a decent looking shell once i plan and finish it.

Comment

Hi black_labb

What is the other resistor value on the heater elevation (if you don't mind me asking), and what is the heater-to-cathode voltage you are getting?
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                  Hi black_labb

What is the other resistor value on the heater elevation (if you don't mind me asking), and what is the heater-to-cathode voltage you are getting?
                  ahh, forgot to put that value in. its 100k. i forgot to check the heater to cathode, but its probably 70v +-10v. max value is 100v, so that was something to look out for on these tubes. the heaters are 58v above ground from memory. just noticed that i used a cap symbol instead of a resistor for the 15k. should be easily understood, but an obvious mistake.

i will get some grommets and some cable ties to clean up the loose cables. i havent cut much off the pt wires, as they seem pretty brittle, and dont want to break them by flexing them too much.

i originally forgot to put a cap at the input to the cathode follower from the volume pot. i was wondering why i kept getting scratchy sounds when i used the vol pot. i tested the voltage, but the pot was set at 0, so the connection was shorted to ground hence no voltage.
                  the reason i forgot it was i had put a gain stage originally, but decided that a cathode follower would be best, and didnt redraw it with the CF.
                  it was only when i redrew the schematic to post here that i realised what i had done. glad you asked for it, otherwise i wouldnt have put that cap in and kept messing around with different pots.

Comment

got the amp fitted with jj E34L (EL34's with a bit more headroom and handling for high voltages). one of the tubes in the first quad sent was defective when i put it in (wasn't conducting at all) so i got a replacement for it sent to me, which worked great.

i had band practice yesterday (first time since mid december as the drummer was in thailand then visiting her boyfriends family out of state). was playing bass through a bigger version of the 1x15 showed above (same speaker, but slightly bigger enclosure and a slightly higher port tuning) and the bass in the same set of photo's. the speaker is a fairly modern sounding 15, that has plenty of xmax to not fart out and plenty of highs (i have been asked if it has a tweeter in it, as it provides plenty of highs which people dont usually associate with 15's) it sounded great, and pushed just the right power for band practice (and probably recording too). i was a bit worried that the eq would be a bit lacking, but it seemed to be plenty responsive and the controls worked as expected. im very happy with how the eq worked out.
                    here comes the description of the sound, which tends to mean something different to everyone, but here goes. playing fingerstyle the amp sounded deep but still punchy. digging in a bit harder the power tubes would compress and distort a bit in a nice way (quite growly as opposed to gainy sounding, deffinately not a harsh distortion, but fairly suddent onset which i believe is due to the fact that i had it on the highest level of -ve feedback). the amp seemed to retain its punch when distorting a bit which is nice. i also play with a pick a fair bit with my band, as it is a 3 piece where the guitarist/singer plays almost exclusively with a slide, and the extra mids seems to fill out the sound nicely. using a pick it sounded nice. there was not any noticeable distortion (possibly due to less lows or possibly masked by the extra mids generated by the pick) but there was a bit of compression when i dug in, which was nice. the pick sound was also good, and worked well.

the amp doesnt seem to have too much power/headroom, which i believe would be due to the lower voltages (around 390v on the plates, depending on the wall voltage). i dont know if i'd bring it to a gig, (not that we're gigging yet) but it would probably cut it with pa backing and/or both 1x15's.
                    i have 2 200w valve amps running on 6550's, which would be better suited to gigs where the bass cant go into the pa. if i got a PT with 350-450v ac out then im sure it would have more power (probably apraching 110w or so) but i think this is perfect for a smaller bass amp for practices/pa/recording or just using plenty of sensitive speakers.
                    i'm not sure wether the amp would "cut through" well in a bigger band (deeper guitars), but the eq seems plenty versatile so i wouldnt doubt it, but volume would probably be an issue. alternatively "biamping" using the 2 1x15's and 1 200w amp and this amp each connected to one. i could get a distorted sound from this one and the 200w amp to generate the extra power and get a nice clean low end.

Comment

Working...
                    X