It's A Mystery: Nasty Sounding Tube OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's A Mystery: Nasty Sounding Tube OD

Chapter 3. This one has been a mystery to me since i got it in 2002.

---------------------------------------
    UNIT: Dr. Blade Subtortion Converter Pedal (circa 1990)
    UNIT TOPOLOGY: Ugly black distortion box. Uses 12AX7, TL072 for gain stages, 1N34A for a clipping stage, 7805 in power stage with 2 1n4148's at pin 2 so that output of chip is ~6.5V, AC powered and rectified for +12V/+0 operation, 5 knobs: Bass/Treble/Tube Gain/Volume/"Incision".
    PROBLEM: Didnt power up. Now it does. Distortion is ugly/splatty/mis-biased sounding.
    ---------------------------------------

So this thing would even power on. Here's what i had to do so far (for the succor of future forum goers that may find this helpful) to get it to where it is now:

1) Checked transformer. Good.
    2) Replaced fuse.
    3) Replaced blown 12V zener diode which was rectifying the raw 15V from the transformer-AC/DC rectifier.
    4) Replaced 2 NPN transistors with higher current ones that were feeding the circuitry from the zener diode output.

RESULT: Pedal powers up. Success! But when i play through it, the distortion is splatty and gated sounding. Immediately i think if a mis-biased tube. So heres what i did:

1) Swapped tube. No change.
    2) Checked that 7805 output was exactly/close to half of Vref. Vref = 13V. Vb = 6.5V. Damn close.
    3) Changed dual opamps. No change.

This is the extent of my knowledge with tube-based pedals. Im an EE grad from UF, so as you can imagine, the majority of my know-how is with Solid State stuff.

Does anyone have any insights or places where i can find faqs/info on 12V operation of tubes (starved plate, i think it's called)?

It's probably blatty and mis-biased sounding because it's mis-biased.

Can you post schematic and active element pin voltages? If so, we can probably tell you what to look at. See "Debugging: What to do when it doesn't work" on the diystompboxes.com forum.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
    X