Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cannibalizing Sunn Solid State to tube amp, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannibalizing Sunn Solid State to tube amp, suggestions?

this is the amp:
    http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/studiolead/
    It's a 50 Watter and I was thinking i could use the reverb and other parts to make a tube amp. It's gonna be my first build, and I want to know if I can salvage the OT and if anyone had any suggestions on which amp would be a good start. I was thinking something like a bf bassman, or deluxe reverb. Also advice is welcome! Thanks.

Darrell

Originally posted by darrellcheng View Post
    this is the amp:
    http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/studiolead/
    It's a 50 Watter and I was thinking i could use the reverb and other parts to make a tube amp. It's gonna be my first build, and I want to know if I can salvage the OT
    If you were thinking of salvaging the OT from the Sunn, there isn't one. SS amps in general don't have them. Of course, you may have meant salvaging the OT from some other amp - that's another possible interpretation of what you wrote.

It's simpler to buy the OT, as today there are many places that sell tube amps PTs and OTs at reasonable prices.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

That's a worthy project. Having the combo cab with speakers and major mechanicals in place is a huge time saver. Better than changing a DR or Bassman into a Sunn :-O
        If that's solid state, does it have an OT? maybe it was the PT? Anyway, you will not be able to salvage the iron if you want to copy something. The PT and OT will be your only major expenses, outside of the tubes you choose.
        With (5) controls on the faceplate, a single channel DR might be cool if you just omit the tremolo circuit. [VOL-BASS-MID-TREB-REVERB] I don't know what kind of room you have inside, but an eyelet board may screw right in if you decide to buy a partial kit. Good Luck!
        Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
        Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

The Studio Lead used one of those split secondary driver transformers. Kind of a rare piece, sell it on eBay!
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Sorry for spelunking although this isn't quite as old as I...

Would he not also need a tube to drive the reverb? I realize that isn't a major expense. Isn't this also likely to be an AB amp at ~40 watts (assuming he wanted to maintain the power rating)?

It does sound like an interesting build.

Comment

Working...
            X