eyelet board wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyelet board wiring

Is there a good reason why the leads coming from the circuit board should be shoved in the eyelet holes? Why couldn't you make a little hook at the end and hook them at the base of the whatever component uses the same eyelet hole?

The main reason I ask is that after quite a bit of trouble shooting I realized that a couple of the B+ leads that run under the board had been shoved out from re-soldering components and leads on the top.
    Unless there's some trick I'm missing, there's no getting to those underneath wires once the board is in place, and some of the eyelets get quite a few wires in them, making for poorer solder joints...

What I do for the "under the board" wires is to poke the lead through the eyelet and bend it over on top - leaving about 1/8 inch of the lead on top and parallel to the board. That way, I can see that the lead is still there when I go to solder the top components to the eyelet. I also count the number of wires at each eyelet to make sure the count matches the schematic. Once you solder the eyelet, you can clip away the excess lead on the "under the board" wires with a side cutter or leave it alone - works either way.

Comment

What Diablo said, - and I use larger (4mm) eyelets, so there is space to keep putting stuff in and taking stuff out if I want.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Is there a good reason why the leads coming from the circuit board should be shoved in the eyelet holes?
        It makes for a stronger more reliable connection.

If doing a new build another alternative is to solder the wires to the top surface of the board along with the other components rather than underneath. It may not look as tidy but it makes future work a lot simpler. Having the entire circuit visible is another plus.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
          If doing a new build another alternative is to solder the wires to the top surface of the board along with the other components rather than underneath. It may not look as tidy but it makes future work a lot simpler. Having the entire circuit visible is another plus.

Greg
          I thought I read somewhere that running wires underneath provided a bit of shielding and helped reduce noise, but I've seen pictures of other builds with the wires run on top, but woven under the components on the board.
          Is the shielding issue neglidgeable?

Comment

I'm not sure about that. I would think it shouldn't make much difference as the leads of the components themselves are exposed on the top of the board anyway. I've also seen many amps done this way. I'll find out soon enough though as I'm doing my first build this way. If noise isn't a problem then I guess it's all right. Someone with more experience than me could better answer this question.

Greg

Comment

The eyelet board offers no shielding.

COnsider this. The way it is done, you can set the ends of several parts down in the eyelet and solder them. COmes time to change a part, reheat the solder, and pull the part out of the hole.

Now consider if you had one part in the hole and four others wrapped around its wire lead and soldered. And now you want to change that part. You'd have to unwrap all those other parts to get it free.

Now that you know you can push underneath wires out, I assume you won;t do it again.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X