Easy to build Magnetizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Piero,
    it is a hotrolled steel had it here in my garage.
    Waiting for the poleshoe and groundplate being made.
    My mate is looking for a low carbone steel for poleshoes and bottomplate but if not I will use a high DC current in the coils to press enough magnetic force trough the iron to get the result I am happy with,hehe.

Du you use your coils in series or parallel?

Cheers
    db

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
      Hello Piero,
      it is a hotrolled steel had it here in my garage.
      Waiting for the poleshoe and groundplate being made.
      My mate is looking for a low carbone steel for poleshoes and bottomplate but if not I will use a high DC current in the coils to press enough magnetic force trough the iron to get the result I am happy with,hehe.

Du you use your coils in series or parallel?

Cheers
      db

Dave, I tried already to encrease DC current wounding additional layers on the bobbins but cores made by FE 360 saturated too much and it doesen't transfer maximum electromagnetic field to the magnet, it's like if I used a weak magnetizer.

This happen with stronger magnet as ferrite, you can notice that. That' s reason I decided to keep carbonium athoms away putting whole metal parts in a oven at 1350° shooting inside it oxigene. This is only process to have an 90% pure iron, it means with a high magnetic permeability. Magnetizer performaces encreased a lot, saturating easily rods and bars, both in alnico and ceramic.

I tried both bobbins in series and parallel. I preferred parallel with opposite phase.

Please let me know about your tests, thank you.

Piero

"We' ve been making overclocked pickups since 1983"

Comment

I'm seeing plenty of AISI 1006 and 1008/10 steel available. Are these going to be significantly better than 1012L or 1018?

There's a place near me called Stack Metallurgical who will heat treat anything for tempering or other purposes. They can probably do the oxygenation it but i don't know what their minimum would be.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          I'm seeing plenty of AISI 1006 and 1008/10 steel available. Are these going to be significantly better than 1012L or 1018?

There's a place near me called Stack Metallurgical who will heat treat anything for tempering or other purposes. They can probably do the oxygenation it but i don't know what their minimum would be.

I'm not a metal expert sorry. What experts says to me is to mill all parts with an iron with lower % of carbonium inside, that's all. Here in Italy it branded as FE360, I don't know if is the same in the rest of the world.
          Oven used is from a metallurgical company, and they told me what they do to reduce carbonium percentage but not in specific. In italian is called "Ricottura con insulfazione di ossigeno"; translated sounds like "oxygen release recooking" In other hand you have to push iron near to the fusion point together oxygen then reduce temperature step by step. This operation takes more than 24 hours.

You have to ask to some metallurgical company in order to do that, forget to do it in your shop. I can say more about it, sorry.

Comment

Hi guys, I only just joined in the hopes someone can help. I built a magnetizer from a 4 inch plastic tube with about 60 windings of some data cable that I pulled out of a printer cable and I'm using the 5 volt DC from a USB port which I'm told uses from 100 to 500 Milliamps. It gets hot after about 40 seconds in use so I know it's working, but it doesn't really seem to magnetise very much if at all. Is this too small to be any good? The construction of electromagnets in childrens books seem to run off very small power (like a battery) and not many windings at all so I thought this would be enough especially when left on for 30 seconds?

Any help appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballistic View Post
              Hi guys, I only just joined in the hopes someone can help. I built a magnetizer from a 4 inch plastic tube with about 60 windings of some data cable that I pulled out of a printer cable and I'm using the 5 volt DC from a USB port which I'm told uses from 100 to 500 Milliamps. It gets hot after about 40 seconds in use so I know it's working, but it doesn't really seem to magnetise very much if at all. Is this too small to be any good? The construction of electromagnets in childrens books seem to run off very small power (like a battery) and not many windings at all so I thought this would be enough especially when left on for 30 seconds?

Any help appreciated.
              Hi Ballistic,
              Your magnetizer is too small, as you said. In order to magnetize both alnicov and ceramic bars you need a magnetizer with a 50/60.000 Oersted flux.

Comment

Yeah I thought so, but thought I could "trickle charge" a magnet. I guess it doesn't work that way?

Trouble is I have so many projects on the go, are machines like these commercially available in Europe \ the UK by any chance? I could make one but I would need like an idiots guide and a week off work. lol

Comment

Ballistic, I'm an italian professional pickup builder and as you can see I'm been forced to build a professional magnetizer at home because they are very hard to find ready to use. Someone sell it from USA, but shipment costs and duty are too much expensive. If you need to "revitalize" some polepieces or small magnetic bars, I suggest to you to buy a neodimium magnet, it can help you in someway. It works but forget to saturate a magnet with it, btw.

Piero Terracina

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
                    Ballistic, I'm an italian professional pickup builder and as you can see I'm been forced to build a professional magnetizer at home because they are very hard to find ready to use. Someone sell it from USA, but shipment costs and duty are too much expensive. If you need to "revitalize" some polepieces or small magnetic bars, I suggest to you to buy a neodimium magnet, it can help you in someway. It works but forget to saturate a magnet with it, btw.

Piero Terracina
                    I disagree!
                    If you have the Proper NEOs, You can Saturate Normal Alnico's all Day Long.
                    Most of us do it all the time.
                    I'm sure in a large capacity Magnet Environment, a Magnetizer would be best.
                    NEOs IMO, & IME, Get a Bad Rap.
                    Keep Rockin,
                    B_T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Ballistic View Post

Any help appreciated.
                      You need Gingery's book
                      You will need to make 2 coils ,with 6 lbs of 18 gauge wire on each coil
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Ok... try to magnetize a pickup with a 60.000 Oersted Electromagnetic flux and an other with a neo magnet and you can ear
                        differences.
                        my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
                          Ok... try to magnetize a pickup with a 60.000 Oersted Electromagnetic flux and an other with a neo magnet and you can ear
                          differences.
                          my 2 cents.
                          I'm talking Alnico's only.
                          Neo's and Ceramics Do not apply.
                          i discharge Alnicos and put them back all the time.
                          Like I said for a big Bizz go with the Magnetizer.
                          For small shops, If You have the Right NEOs and Use them Properly, they work fine for Alnicos.
                          If your not getting a proper charge with NEOs, Either You have the wrong NEOs, or Don't know how to use them.
                          No Argument, Just My 2 Cents also,and I still contend that NEOs get a bad rap when it comes to charging Alnicos.
                          Peace,
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Everyone is free to make different choices, of course. I used large neodimum magnets for years to magnetize alnico 5 poles and bars, when I switched with a professional magnetizer performances have been much encreased in power and balanced output between rods, in my personal opinion. I suggest to you to try.

I said to the guy to use a neo magnet to magnetize alnico 5 poles, it works, that's sure. But permit to me to insist, it's not same as if you use a professional magnetizer.

Sorry for my poor english.

peace :-)

Comment

It's nothing to do with guitar pickups I'm afraid to say guys, I do play the piano if that helps?
                              Anyway, I'm a retailer of science stuff and I received a crapy batch of batteries all in a big clump. Probably all rubbed eachother up the wrong way for god knows how long. (although it is normally a really good source)

Anyway, I had them too long to really complain to the manufacturer, and in any case, being a science stuff guy, I was interested to see how it's done , and maybe what else I could magnetise.

Maybe it's something worth spending the time to look at. I don't know how some of you guys have got the time to pursue this what with playing the guitar but it good to see people with a vibrant interest in this kind of thing, thanks

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X