X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to build Magnetizer

Hello,
    here is a pic of my Magnetizer.
    It is just two coils wound around rectangular irons.
    With the treated bolts I can adjust them to fit the magnets or Bobbins.

Oh,
    the pics:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
      Hello,
      here is a pic of my Magnetizer.
      It is just two coils wound around rectangular irons.
      With the treated bolts I can adjust them to fit the magnets or Bobbins.
      What's the current, voltage, and turns count? And how long before it melts?

Comment

Hey joe,
        is works with 230 Volt and 16 Ampere this is common in every German household.The wire is 0,85 mm and I wound it to DC resistance. To prevent from overheating I installed a 130 degree thermo switch inside the coils.

The magnetic field is verry strong and woun´t lose magnetic power wehn magnetizing short magnets because the magnetizer works without the variable poleshoes.

Comment

Hey joe,
          it works with 230 Volt and 16 Ampere this is common in every German household. The wire is 0,85 mm and I wound it to DC resistance. To prevent from overheating I installed a 130 degree thermo switch inside the coils.
          That's 3,680 watts, more than most toasters. I assume that you feed it AC full-wave rectified to DC (plus ripple).

The magnetic field is very strong and won't lose magnetic power when magnetizing short magnets because the magnetizer works without the variable poleshoes.
          How many turns?

I don't understand the part about the pole pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
            That's 3,680 watts, more than most toasters. I assume that you feed it AC full-wave rectified to DC (plus ripple).

Yes,200 volts DC full wave ( four diodes).

How many turns?
            I can not say exactly because I qwound it on a lathe without a counter.
            Wehn useing the standard formula I came on 1700 Wdg for each coil.

I don't understand the part about the pole pieces.
            Most magnetizers use two coils each wound around a piece of Iron standing side by side.To close the magnetic circle it is common to use two poleshoes made of iron.
            These poleshoes steal a lot of magnetic force.

Comment

Most magnetizers use two coils each wound around a piece of Iron standing side by side.To close the magnetic circle it is common to use two poleshoes made of iron.
              These poleshoes steal a lot of magnetic force.

This is mine, unboxed. It works with rods and bars in different sizes, both with ceramic and alnico. You can see classic "C" to close magnetic circle.

"We' ve been making overclocked pickups since 1983"

Comment

TGD,
                thanks for the photo, I'm still curious what drives the electro-magnet. Is there just a big rectifier and an on-off switch or is there some sort of capacitor bank to create an impulse...

I can see buying up a big spool of 16awg magnet wire on ebay and making one of these myself to save $600 but not sure what I'd be missing.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  TGD,
                  thanks for the photo, I'm still curious what drives the electro-magnet. Is there just a big rectifier and an on-off switch or is there some sort of capacitor bank to create an impulse...

I can see buying up a big spool of 16awg magnet wire on ebay and making one of these myself to save $600 but not sure what I'd be missing.

Discharge magnetized don't need so big bobbins, Dave. It works with a rectifier, a NO switch and 0.75 mm. (approx 21" AWG) wired bobbins.

Comment

I am working on one of those at the moment.Had the steel core machined but did not find the time to wind the bobbins until now.

Comment

I am working on one of those at the moment.Had the steel core machined but did not find the time to wind the bobbins until now.
                      what kind of iron are you using to buiild it?

Comment

I think it is something hotrolled.I use what I can find and CR steel is not around at this time.
                        db

Comment

I think it is something hotrolled.I use what I can find and CR steel is not around at this time.
                          db

It's not good for these purposes; you have to use pure iron, Dave.

Comment

I have some iron from some old speaker driver cores, would they work? They aren't very long but I could bolt a few of them together. What about the base plate and the top anvils, can they be steel?

My sense is the hot rolled steel is the closest thing to iron that you can get these days without going to a very expensive specialty mill.

Comment

Another source of iron might be large rivets used in older bridges, buildings and boats etc.
                              There's a place called JC Sales that still sells them: 1-800-521-6777
                              I haven't called to confirm this but have it on good authority.

I'll bet someone at Eminence in Kentucky could get us a few big speaker cores too. I've talked to them at Namm and they are really cool folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X