X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 to KT66?

Is this a safe swap assuming the bias is set for the KT66? thanks Bob
    "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

They should drop right in, aside from the bias setting. However, if you are looking for a drop-in beam tube replacement with similar bias settings, scope out either some NOS or E-H 6CA7's. In the "old days", 6CA7's were often labeled "6CA7/EL34", because even though they were/are different tube types (beam-tetrode vs. power-pentode), they had similar ratings and bias requirements.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks. I wasnt sure if anybody was actually making real 6CA7's but I'd like to try them as well -for that matter Im not sure if anybod is making real KT66's either! lol! Bob

Comment

JJ makes a E34L (6CA7). I've got a pair and am satisfied with them, but I think I'll end up switching them out for KT-88s.
        -Mike

Comment

I'm almost positive that the E-H 6CA7 is a modified version of their 6L6GC, as the plate structure is identical. In any case, these can and do sub for EL34's directly, as I have done it here in the shop. "Real" KT66's? Not sure about that. A lot of reissued tubes are rebottled and/or repinned versions of more common types, e.g. 6550/KT88. "KT" or "Kinkless Tetrode" was/is a very specific, highly-linear design spec for beam-tetrode tubes, but I suspect that the new KT-xx tubes we now see are, as I said, just garden-variety beam-tetrodes.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
            JJ makes a E34L (6CA7). I've got a pair and am satisfied with them, but I think I'll end up switching them out for KT-88s.
            Yeah the amp came with E34L's(Rivera Chubster). JJ does make a KT66 though. It has a metal base tied to pin one but seeing as the amp uses EL34's i dont think its an issue.

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
            I'm almost positive that the E-H 6CA7 is a modified version of their 6L6GC, as the plate structure is identical. In any case, these can and do sub for EL34's directly, as I have done it here in the shop. "Real" KT66's? Not sure about that. A lot of reissued tubes are rebottled and/or repinned versions of more common types, e.g. 6550/KT88. "KT" or "Kinkless Tetrode" was/is a very specific, highly-linear design spec for beam-tetrode tubes, but I suspect that the new KT-xx tubes we now see are, as I said, just garden-variety beam-tetrodes.
            Just looking for different options. I prefer the sound of 6L6's in the Chubster over EL34's. Thinking maybe the KT66's might give me a little different flavor. Ive even tried 6V6's in it but it was to buzzy sounding probably due to the impedance mismatch created. Bob

Comment

Working...
            X