'Bucker Magnet Neo Charging Jigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bucker Magnet Neo Charging Jigs?

I know a few of you guys have those fancy $600 chargers...very nice...but I can't swing one of those so I've been passing my mags between neo bricks in a vice. It works ok, but I tend to pinch my fingers a lot and clang my Alnicos against the neos. It also seems to work better for A2s than A5s. There must be a better way.

Anyone have pics (or can you explain) of a better method/jig setup?

+1.

Comment

I just made a quick jig. Commonly referred to as a "stick". I milled a slot that holds two bar magnets. Just drop them in and swing the cover over top to stop the magnets from moving around. Slide the whole thing between the magnets.

www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I use a similar "stick" for charging strat pickups. Simple, primitive, but very effective. I'm also assured that each pickup gets basically the same charge.

www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Nice grouting job buddy! :/ Kidding.

So you just drilled a hole in the center of your Neo's and affixed them to your jig? I was thinking of trying that but I was worried they would shatter. I was going to use a small hardbor freight vise and affix one magnet to each vise face. That way I could bring the magnets closer together or farther apart.

My biggest problem has been degaussing to specific levels. I have an large flatplat electrical demagnetizer which a forum member recommended to me, its hooked up to a variac so I can reduce the voltage. It is so freaking hard to get them just right. For example, I was trying to degauss an A5 today to about 400 gauss average. I was either ending up with 470's or 290's. It'd love to find a way to just dial it in, but alas no luck yet.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
            Nice grouting job buddy! :/ Kidding.

So you just drilled a hole in the center of your Neo's and affixed them to your jig? I was thinking of trying that but I was worried they would shatter. I was going to use a small hardbor freight vise and affix one magnet to each vise face. That way I could bring the magnets closer together or farther apart.
            Putting them on a metal vice is a god idea because it closes the magnetic circuit. They stay put too, and you can get them pretty close to each other.

Some neos come with holes in the center.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Its easier to fine tune your degaussing by using a ceramic magnet and opposing the poles against your alnico.
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Does anybody have a source for the neos with the holes in them?

Comment

I grabbed them off ebay..
                  www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbetter View Post
                    Does anybody have a source for the neos with the holes in them?
                    Here's one

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...od=BX082CS%2DP
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                      I just made a quick jig. Commonly referred to as a "stick". I milled a slot that holds two bar magnets. Just drop them in and swing the cover over top to stop the magnets from moving around. Slide the whole thing between the magnets.

Brillliant!

Thanks chevalij!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Hmmm...are those big/strong enough for bucker mags? They look like they might be too small.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                          Hmmm...are those big/strong enough for bucker mags? They look like they might be too small.
                          They are N42 magnets, so they are pretty strong. I have some 1"X 1/4" X 1/4" magnets from them that I use for charging weak magnets.

However, I've never worked with uncharged magnets, and I've never used these, but I came upon them in their listing.

I'd probably want bigger ones I think.

Comment

How do you use it with humbuckers?

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                            I use a similar "stick" for charging strat pickups. Simple, primitive, but very effective. I'm also assured that each pickup gets basically the same charge.

Can you tell me how you use it to charge finished humbuckers? You can't isn't it?
                            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                            Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                            X