NOS Recto vs New Recto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Recto vs New Recto

A lot of people say that the NOS rectifiers sound better than the new ones.I get the difference in construction,performance and durability.
    But what about tone?I keep hearing that they sound better,but there is no signal running through the rectifier.Pre-amp tubes definitely affect tone.Output tubes definitely affect tone.But the rectifier????
    I just can't justify the expense of a NOS Mullard(they're going for $200+ dollars)when a $15 dollar JJ will perform the same function.
    Please enlighten me!

I'm with you on the tone issue.A rectifier has little if any affect on tone.Touch and response to some degree,but it is very subtle.But most NOS will certainly hold up better than current production.Depending on which tube and which amp,it can be a big difference.For instance Mesa uses a 5Y3 in one of their Lonestars,which runs the rectifier close to its limitations and they blow all the time.In fact when it blows,Mesa will give you a new one free.I've replaced the 5Y3 with a 5V4 in two,and they are holding up fine.

Comment

Touch and response,yes,I agree.And maybe you can add texture to the list of differences,due to varying voltage output from tube to tube.But that would from tube to tube,not NOS to new production.
      I am all for durability.I just bought a JAN Phillips 1980's 5AR4 for $80,and I can not hear any difference in tone between it and a JJ or Sovtec 5AR4.But I do expect it to perform more consistently for a much longer period of time.

Comment

I'm wondering why the 5AR4 is relatively rare as NOS and priced accordingly. I was given a large bunch of old tubes, and haven't come across a single 5AR4. I did find dozens of other good rectifiers, like 5U4G, 5V4G, 5Y3, 5Y4, 5R4. I've been using a NOS 5U4GB in a tweed bassman clone and a BF deluxe reverb clone without any issues, instead of the standard 5AR4. The 5U4G has a little lower B+ than the 5AR4, but both amps sound very good at the lower voltage. I also like the better availability and pricing of the 5U4G.

Comment

From what I've read, the sag is different in a new mfgr 5Y3, from the NOS types. I haven't really noticed a difference . A 5V4 will raise the B+ a bit over a 5Y3, and if used, the HV should be checked to determine if the filter caps are rated high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
            I'm wondering why the 5AR4 is relatively rare as NOS and priced accordingly. I was given a large bunch of old tubes, and haven't come across a single 5AR4. I did find dozens of other good rectifiers, like 5U4G, 5V4G, 5Y3, 5Y4, 5R4. I've been using a NOS 5U4GB in a tweed bassman clone and a BF deluxe reverb clone without any issues, instead of the standard 5AR4. The 5U4G has a little lower B+ than the 5AR4, but both amps sound very good at the lower voltage. I also like the better availability and pricing of the 5U4G.
            What voltages are you seeing in the Deluxe Reverb clone with the 5U4GB?

Comment

Originally posted by ajeffcote View Post
              What voltages are you seeing in the Deluxe Reverb clone with the 5U4GB?
              432 volts with an RCA 5U4GB, bias at 21 mA per tube.
              435 volts with a JAN Sylvania 5U4G, bias at 21 mA per tube.
              423 volts with JAN Sylvania 5U4G, bias at 27 mA per tube.

In comparison - 460 volts for the JJ GZ34, bias at 21 mA per tube.

Comment

What PT are you using?My Allen Accomplice is running 430 to 435 volts with a 5AR4,and I am biasing at about 75%.What output tubes are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by ajeffcote View Post
                  What PT are you using?My Allen Accomplice is running 430 to 435 volts with a 5AR4,and I am biasing at about 75%.What output tubes are you running?
                  The PT is this MOJO761,
                  http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/ite...008&id=MOJO761

I believe they are made for them by Heyboer.
                  Those voltages were measured when I was using RCA 6V6GTA tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by pila View Post
                    From what I've read, the sag is different in a new mfgr 5Y3, from the NOS types. I haven't really noticed a difference . A 5V4 will raise the B+ a bit over a 5Y3, and if used, the HV should be checked to determine if the filter caps are rated high enough.
                    The first filter caps the B+ sees are two totem-poled 300v caps-good for 600v's-I dont care what rectifier you use you arent going to get close to 600v's.

Comment

Working...
                    X