SVT III started smoking like george burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT III started smoking like george burns

During soundcheck the other day my drummer made me aware of a large amount of white smoke coming from the rear of my bass amp. I have the Ampeg SVT III (not the pro) that is rackmountable. I have mine in a road rack case. After disassembly of the case and removal of the top plate I found the culprit. An approximately 1" donut of red wire ( sorry for the noob description) near the front of the amp had come disconnected from all four of its connecting wire posts and somehow unglued itself from its place. It came to rest somewhere very hot and began to smoke. After removal of said red ball of fury I powered the amp on and to my surprise it still worked. Knowing full well that this piece must be replaced, I ask you:

1. what is it? I can't read schematics....sorry
    2. Is it safe for me, personally, to re-glue it to its base and re solder the connections.

Thanks in advance

That red donut sounds like it may be a coil from the tone circuit. if you're lucky the white smoke was from the glue that was supposed to hold it in place. You could resolder it and glue it, i like to use E6000 or shoe goo. You may have to scrape the leads if they broke. You already tried the amp and it still works, you could risk frying the amp, or it may be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by metalangst View Post
      That red donut sounds like it may be a coil from the tone circuit. if you're lucky the white smoke was from the glue that was supposed to hold it in place. You could resolder it and glue it, i like to use E6000 or shoe goo. You may have to scrape the leads if they broke. You already tried the amp and it still works, you could risk frying the amp, or it may be fine.
      hey metalangst,
      thanks for the info.
      it is definitely a coil of some sort. not sure which one. I have actually, against my better judgement, used the amp for a show on new years eve. it performed perfectly. i am smart enough to know that im gonna do some harm if i keep using it so i am just trying to track down what it is exactly and if i should go professional on this or can save the money with some diy soldering.

Comment

do u have the schematic for the svt III?

Comment

Oh no, you let the smoke out?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26377/

lookie here.

After the smoke escapes, it's 10 times harder to put it back in the amp...

Comment

Working...
          X