Ovation Op24+ preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovation Op24+ preamp

Anyone know if there's service documentation available for this saddle pickup preamp? I have one in my CS257 Deluxe flametop that died 3 months after I bought the guitar (10 years ago). Ovation wouldn't warantee it, refused to give me service info, and just wanted to sell me a replacement at 100$ plus shipping.

This guitar doesn't have more than 100 miles on the odometer.....I bought it specifically to use onstage and the second time I used it plugged in the damn thing died. I dug it out today to show a customer and since it was out I decided to have another go at the preamp. Its about impossible to draw a schematic......so many traces are under the sliders on the component side of the pcb. Theres not a whole lot to it (TLO64 based) but I'd like to know how they've routed the signal before I screw with it anymore.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

What is there to lose, pull the sliders.

That is a low power op amp, but op amps are op amps. I'd assume they are running single supply with a refernce voltage? SO the signal pins sit about 4.5v? Any signal pins - outputs in particular - slammed over to +9 or ground? Or is it a different arrangement?

PLugged into an amp, does touching the input pins of any op amps make hum?

Call the guys at Elderly and ask if they know anything.

Is it a piezo deal in the saddle? Are we sure the pickup is OK?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Saddle p-up is ok, it works fine with the preamp bypassed. Funny....I bought the guitar new from Elderly

I've replaced the op amp already, didn't do anything different. There's a Jfet buffer at the input, that passed signal ok. More pokin' around I need to do I guess.......

Comment

Got it sorted out. Turned out to be a mechanical connection issue with a lytic. Had it plugged into an amp with a sig gen and noticed a noise that sounded like cap noise. Was about to grab the freeze spray when I must have grabbed the pcb a certain way and got full signal for a second. Couldn't duplicate that again so I found the bad cap with the freeze mist. Only took 10 yrs....

Comment

Working...
        X