No announcement yet.

Baldwin Vintage Amp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently acquired a working Baldwin 51P from the DUMP of all places. It sounded a bit muddy at first but really came alive after about 15 mins. I want to convert this to a guitar amplifier, however, I want to be able to preserve all of the sound effects from the tone generator, i.e., vibrato, sustain, clarinet, oboe, etc.

One thought I had was to (conceptually) replace the two keyboards and set of pedals with a guitar jack (3), and drop the signal into the appropriate spot on the schematic (I bought a copy online). It appears that certain 'effects' apply to either the solo keyboard, accompaniment keyboard, or the percussion pedals.

Then I would remove the keyboards and pedals from the organ, creating a flat, rectangular profile to the unit and leave everything else in place as far as speakers, expression pedal, etc. Maybe even wire in a tone circuit. There are about 50-60 12A_7's that generate the individual notes that I would like to bypass altogether, but I'm not sure if that's option. For example, if I remove that circuitry, do I need a dummy load there for things to balance out?

I am thinking about contacting one of the local university electrical engineering depts (Duke and/or NC State) to see if a professor or student would be interested in looking at this with me. Please let me know if anyone would like to see the schematics and if there is any interest in working on a similar project. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X