• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some more photos:
    Attached Files

Comment

yea thats what i have

mine is sitting in a closet now. guess it isnt as easy as it appeared. oh well live and laern and save alot money for something ready to go lol

Comment

OK, I'm on board the Baldwin Orgasonic train too. I have '59 30-P and a '60 61-P. The amp sections appear to be identical. (Same as the 51-P in the original post) Giant iron, 2 x 6L6, 2 x 12ax7, 3 x 12au7 & RU4. My plan is to build a stereo twin monoblock for my home system. Got a million 12au7's to stack up for the preamp. Just need a workable schematic for a clean 20-30 wps. I'm not expecting to salvage much of the original circuitry, obviously. Will try to get specific info on trannys tomorrow, if anybody wants to chime in with ideas. Thanks in advance. Please ignore post count, it doesn't correlate to age or experience! Mostly age. -Rich

Comment

Baldwin 51P amp

Did anyone here ever find out anything about the transformers in this amp? I just took delivery of this exact unit and I'm trying to figure it out also.

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

I just purchased a baldwin F-C512-023757 tr on ebay. Was told it powered 2 6L6s and 20 or 30 preamp tubes. I couldn't find a schematic anywhere, but I did check some voltages:

Input 122 volts on black pair.

726 v. on small gauge red pair
            7.2 v on larger gauge reddish pair (looks kinda brown)
            14 v on green pair
            7.1 v on yellow pair
            53 v on red/yellow wire to ground

The red/yellow is probably center tap for the HV red wires, but I'm not sure. I will post if I find more info.
            I'd like to know the power rating of this. I'm looking to build a 40 or 50 watt amp.

Comment

Baldwin SE 6L6 amp

Hey folks,

Just got this guy last night and finding info (free) is a pain. I'm finding that this amp is from a 51P or 61P from 1961'. Did anyone find any more definative info on this amp and are you willing to swap a little knowledge on it? I'd appreciate any advice in the conversions made and I'll provide some experience/documentation if asked. Appreciate it.

Comment

Does anyone have any info on a Baldwin 51P or 61P amp? Nearly impossible to get any paper on this guy. Thanks.

Comment

As with so many of these "conversion" projects I think the best thing to do is view them as donor amps. In this case I would just use the iron and the tubes. If you can't get the specs on the transformers, set down and meter them out. When you know what you have, then decide what known good amp configuration you want to build. You have plenty of heater current. Start with a fresh chassis and new ceramic tube sockets. Follow a known good layout and grounding scheme. You have the expensive parts. Make a new turret/eyelet board. In the long run you will save yourself a lot of time and grief with a little more investment avoiding lackluster results and unforseen cosequences. Just my opinion of course, but I have yet to see a "conversion" that was really usable and did not have wierd problems or annoying limitations.

Comment

Sound suggestions. I do have the service manual for a 61P and a few nice schematics. I've converted a couple of Roberts SE R to R amps with nice results (didn't do the design, but adapted what was worth it). I'm with you on the start over part. The can is too big and crowded with nonsense wave form divider circuitry. The power xfmr is a beast, though, and the choke and outputs are in great shape. I'm looking to use the 20-30 watt output for a keyboard amp for my S80, so I'm trying to keep it simple and can with the paper I have. Any suggestions on a 6L6 or 6550 layout to use with these components? I'm looking into the xfmr specs as we speak. Thanks for confirming my initial impulse to gut this guy and start from scratch.

Comment

Then all you really need is a power amp right?

Comment

Yep. Got this huge piece of iron, a fair amount of good bumble bees and spragues, a peerless 7532 for power backup (probably use for something else), an altec output tranny (still crunching the numbers on him), the three little trannys that are in this amp (one obviously the choke), and all kinds of little goodies from this baldwin and in bins. I'm getting the bug again and will probably piss off the household with a lack of appearance for days on end (or evenings at least). I'm still a tone freak, even after all these years. Any suggestions appreciated and I'll attempt to let go of what little brain matter I still retain.

Comment

Originally posted by nvaeth View Post
                          The baldwin amp used two 6l6GCs and the power transformer has 12.6 and 6.3V fil lines and 335VAC going to a 5u4, and putting 350V on the plates of the 6l6s
                          Here's the PT info people have been asking for, as well as the elusive schematic. Disregard the part about the Champ conversion:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t21323/

Comment

Baldwin Conversion

Thanks RWood. Any input is better than none. I don't think I'll waste a great output transformer on this project. This isn't audio quality stuff and a keyboard amp doesn't justify using one up. Also, came out to Planet Utonia (Utah) from Chesapeake. Have a bunch of relatives in Richmond. Kinda missin' old VA. Thanks again

Comment

Yw. Maybe not audiophile stuff but there are dozens of great musical instrument circuits that could be whipped up, point-to-point, under that chassis slab. The 5E5 Pro is what I'd like to build with mine. Amp chassis in the bottom of the cab, controls up top.

Yep, Virginia is rat purty this time of year; it probably misses you too.

Comment

Baldwin organ transformer

Originally posted by jonton26 View Post
                                Hi everyone
                                Ok so I followed some threads here about converting a Baldwin Organ tube amp into a guitar amp...thing is, I found so many different models of amps, nothing looks like the one i'm getting via EBAY.

I purchased a 1959 Baldwin Tube Amp organ model 51P, it uses 2x 6L6, 2x 12ax7 and 2x 12au7 (rectifier is 5U4)

Anyway, here are some pics...what i'm worried about is: Am I missing a tranny here?
                                This is supposed to be a big iron tranny, btw.

Other than that, i know nothing on the matter...all i know is this thing worked great in the organ, it used to power 2x 12" speakers at 16ohm... and i'm wondering if i can use it in my 4x12' cab.

More pics available.

Is this supposed to be powerful at all?
                                I suppose there is a preamp stage - can i hack it to add some EQ / Level things there?
                                Apparently there is a gain knob on the chassis,

K thanks for the help, people

Jonathan
                                I just bought a transformer, but not yet paid for it, and I hate my 18watt amp as I got tinnitus(ear ringing for days) from it. I was wondering about a solid state diode arrangement and was wondering if anyone knew about that. I find there are 1 amp diodes and 3 amps diodes and I know what a diode bridge is. I can also figure to put in a 5u4 rectifier. I am thinking the transformer I should rewind and use Formvar(spelling) wire as to get rid of the enameled wire. That is something for you to think about too. rectifier winding is very difficult, one round wire on top of the other and 67 feet is the wire length and if you do a center tap it is 67 feet in the either directions.

Comment

Working...
                                X