Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 5E3 layout

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best (or preferred and problem free) layout is for the 5E3? This will be my first build and I cannot afford a kit so I will be sourcing the parts myself, little by little. I've found layouts from Ceriatone, Weber, SD Vintage, and dockery amps, and of course Hoffman. The Hoffman layout looks more like a schematic to me as I'm a newbie. I've heard a lot of great things about Mission amps but unfortunately I can't find that layout. Any help anyone could give me is appreciated. I'm really anxious (though cautious) to get started as I've never owned or played thru a tube amp before. Thanks.

Tony
    Lexington, SC

What kind of tone are you expecting from your amp? Keep in mind that a 5e3 does not have a lot of clean headroom so you wont get glassy Fender clean tones.

The saturated sound of a 5e3 is the magic that has made it a staple of boutique builders and owners.

The layouts are all very simlilar and you will have to put in some time to get it tweeked out. But worry not, as long as you post good solid questions here, you will receive a LOT of help.

If I were to buy a kit, I'd get a Mission due to Bruces reputation in the 5e3 community. If you are concerened with price, Weber is a good place to save as much as possible. Just an opinion.

Speaking of saving money - At the end of the day you will speand nearly as much sourcing parts individually as you would on a kit. And you wont forget anything with a kit. Food for thought.

Good luck and most of all -Be very careful as tube amps have lethal voltages floating around.

Mike

Comment

As far as tone goes, I've listened to the 5E3 on youtube but I know that I'm not hearing it's "true" tone. I have a strat and plan on having a tele soon. I'd like a clean bluesy tone. I'v debated between doing a 5E3 and a 5F1 or 5F2A. I just figured that a 5E3 isn't much more difficult and is more versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by aferaci View Post
        Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best (or preferred and problem free) layout is for the 5E3? This will be my first build and I cannot afford a kit so I will be sourcing the parts myself, little by little. I've found layouts from Ceriatone, Weber, SD Vintage, and dockery amps, and of course Hoffman. The Hoffman layout looks more like a schematic to me as I'm a newbie. I've heard a lot of great things about Mission amps but unfortunately I can't find that layout. Any help anyone could give me is appreciated. I'm really anxious (though cautious) to get started as I've never owned or played thru a tube amp before. Thanks.

Tony
        Lexington, SC
        Don't waste a lot of time with this.
        Sourcing everything yourself can be a handful and you're going to end up spending more then you think anyhow so do the easy stuff now.
        Use the stock Fender 5E3 layout found all over the web.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende..._5e3_schem.pdf

It is the easiest way to get right (10,000 people can't be wrong) and, regardless of where you get it (Mojotone, WeberVST or wherever) try to use a 5E3 cloned chassis so it will fly together.
        Weber will sell you a chassis, eyelet board and the brass plate for the ground system, Mojo does not use the brass plate but they have an excellent chassis and eyelet board.
        With MOJO chassis' you have to solder a solid, ground buss wire to the back of the three 1ma audio pots to use a pseudo ground point... either way is OK.
        Only use pots with solderable backs on them.
        Don't skip on the input jacks... use Switchcraft jacks and find some decent on-off switches.
        Any decent 320v-350v PT at around 100ma is OK and a small OT such as a clone Princeton Reverb OT is good... as is the Hammond 125E etc. etc ...
        Try to source a real NOS (new old stock) 5Y3GT rectifier and always use a 12AY7 in the first preamp stage for best results.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Well let me say that by the time you purchase everything you need from multiple vendors and pay several shipping charges you're going to have spent alot of money. If money is tight, I would buy a chassis kit first and while you're building it save up for the cabinet and speaker.

Bruce Collins is being modest in this thread by not mentioning that he sells one of the best kits on the market and for a damned good price. He also supports his kits in a way no other vendor does. Hell, he even supports other peoples kits. I know of no other person in the amp business that is a giving as Bruce Collins. If I were you, I'd take a look at Bruce's 5E3 kit and maybe call Bruce before I did anything:

http://www.missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml

Barry
          Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

are the instructions for the kit build available in the shipment and/or website?

does it come with the wires and solder or is that something you buy on your own? anything else (other that soldering iron) do we buy on our own??
            Rivera S120, Marshall JMP-1, EL34 dual monobloc

Comment

Originally posted by rabies View Post
              are the instructions for the kit build available in the shipment and/or website?

does it come with the wires and solder or is that something you buy on your own? anything else (other that soldering iron) do we buy on our own??

The best way to find out answers to all of your questions is to call Bruce at the telephone number listed in his post above.
              Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Working...
              X