Sears Organ - Parting out question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears Organ - Parting out question

I just picked up an old Silvertone organ at a garage sale for $10. I pulled 9
    12AX7s from it. The power amp is a SE 6AQ5, driving a 12" alnico speaker, possible CTS? If half the tubes are good I've definately got my $$ from it, and the iron would make a great little champ clone. Not sure who made the tubes, but the manufacturing codes are faded red, maybe RCA?

Knowing nothing about organs, I'm wondering if there is anything else of value in these old organs. I was going to pull out the chassis for the iron, keep the speaker and chuck the rest of it. Anyting I might be missing I should keep before I do?

I always grab the expression pedal assembly to make some sort of foot control for something... but I never get around to doing it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Organ donor

I pretty much save everything. It probably has some inductors that would work in a wah circuit. "Bumblebee" caps go for stupid money on ebay. Old transistors, especially germanium are great for making fuzz-faces. Even the wood that the cabinet is made out of is going to be different that materials you can get today. I've saved old plywood that rang like a bell, most modern stuff just goes thud. Which piece would you use to make a baffle in a deluxe clone?

Comment

There are no transistors or bumblebee caps, but I hadn't thought about the inductors. There are quite a few of them The speaker is mounted to a 1/2 inch plywood baffle that's quite large. It measures 6.8 DC resistance so I guess it's an 8 ohm.

Comment

You probably already got the good stuff. I've tried saving tube sockets, but the nine pine socket are a bitch to get cleaned of all wire and solder - they typically wrap the wire around the lug. Just drilling out the rivets can be a tough job.

Comment

The sockets in this aren't very good to begin with. I have plenty of new sockets so they are too much to bother with. I'll salvage a socket if it's old ceramic but don't bother otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X