Optimize signal + thoughts on V1/V2 with overdrive/distortion pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimize signal + thoughts on V1/V2 with overdrive/distortion pedals

I've been thinking a lot about signal chain, how stuff interacts, and experimenting with getting the best signal and tone I can get from my gear. In particular I'm looking for info on optimizing output from the guitar into effects, then out of the effects and into the amp which in turn produces an optimal/ultimate tone. I seem to need to lower my pickups so as not to get a stuffy distortion sound from my amp at any volume - so now I may have a weak signal at the start of my chain. From there it seems my overdrive/distortion pedals (analogman KOT/analogman DS-1) like a strong signal input to bring on the best sounds but I have lowered my pickups. Now post overdrive/distortion, my amp seems to like a strong signal hitting the front end either from a booster or volume on the pedals...the boost can help with high end loss from the chain as well. I have also been experimenting with preamp tubes for V1 and V2 in my TRRI...I like a 12AY7 in V2 as it softens up the piercing attack I get from 12AX7s and I can turn up the volume more to get the power tubes working harder (which sounds good). However I have experimented and found that my overdrive/distortion pedals may sound a bit better (better overdrive/distortion) with a 12AX7 as the tones sound better and it changes the eq a bit (dialing in on the amp). additionally, the sound of the OD/distortion pedals driving a 12AX7 in V1 while using Channel 1 may sound still better - but then no reverb/tremolo.

So basically I'm experimenting and looking for ideas/advice/knowledge about what optimizes a signal and others' experiences with finding a good configuration for getting the best sound out of overdrive/distortion pedals. I would love to learn about how all this works in terms of the actual electrical signal as well, i.e. voltages, impedances, gain, etc.

BTW, here's my rig: ESP LTD EC-1000 with SD 59/JB -> analogman KOT -> DS-1 (analogman mod) -> TRRI (1 original speaker + 1 V30) ... I have other pedals I can experiment with such as compressors, boosters, buffers, etc.

anyone want to discuss optimizing the signal from guitar to speakers and the effect of V1/V2 on overdrive/distortion pedals?

Comment

Working...
    X