fender super sonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender super sonic

its bad to the bone!!! have you heard it?? clean as anything and a slightly grittier than a two-rock type distortion. id like to see a schem on that baby!! have you heard it? check it on fender's site. i played one today.

I have one on my bench w/ ghostly issues. intermittent crackling noises. also when bassman switch is engaged the whole amp sounds horrible, MORE crackling and instability. tried tubes, retentioned all sockets, cleaned sockets, replaced bad input jack, checked bias etc... ghostly issues remain. i would never buy this amp.

Comment

I bought the 60w combo new last November & had a little trouble after I unpacked it. Mine would make godawful squealing noises and pops and crackles at first. It turned out to be the volume pot on the Vintage Channel. I cured mine by working the volume pot from min to max repeatedly for a minute or so. It cleaned the wiper contacts and cleared it right up. I didn't think much of it at the time, because I was born and raised in the middle of the West Texas oilfields and it is fairly common for that kind of thing to happen to stereos, etc. Lots of H2S in the air here. The amp sounds beautiful now.

I have read elsewhere that Fender had some issues with cold solder joints failing, but that has yet to show up in mine. I LOVE this amp! The only mod I made, is install a Weber Beam Blocker and changed the tubes to Winged C 6L6's and Tung Sol 12AX7s, 12AY7s. I have the bias set @ 32mA if I remember correctly. It didn't sound bad with the original Groove Tubes in it though. I put them on the shelf for spares.
      Michael

Comment

I am a fan of the newer ones, people talk really bad about the super sonics but they do not realize the newer ones are a lot different than the old ones and IMO sound AMAZING! there was a guy on youtube arguing with me that the new ones suck and I asked if he had played it and he goes " no but I had the old one and I think they are pretty much the same) people dont realize changing really small things on an amp can really change its sound.
        Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

What is different? What changes have they made? I only see one schematic for it. Well the head and the combo have different schematics. But I don;t see reissues.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Im not sure exactly I haven't checked out the schematic eatheir, a Fender Rep was talking to me about it they also have a 22? watt combo of the super sonic now. I know the clean channel is a little different and the high gain channel isn't as thin. so maybe just changed some values of some stuff? not quite sure, but I A/B'ed them and The new one just sounds so much more full and not as thin.
            Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

I also have a Super Sonic 22 on the bench with ghostly problems. 1st issue is bias won't settle . 2rd the volume of the amp goes up & down for no reason.. Came in with original 6v6s shorted. Did you have any luck with the amp? The owner said this amp has acted weird since he bought it .. Pulled the chassis. The inside guts look like brand new...It does have a bias pot, but won't adjust and hold a current draw steady.

Comment

You should start a new thread. This one is 10 years old. In the mean time, is the bias supply voltage stable?
                Last edited by The Dude; 04-24-2020, 10:54 PM.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                X