5e3x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3x2

Does Mission not offer this kit? I'm relatively new to this forum so maybe I missed something but the schematic over @ Weber has Bruce's name on it??
    I'm interested in this amp but some of the comments I've heard about the quality of some of the Weber components makes me wanna look somewhere different. If I were to source the parts my self can someone suggest a set of xformers?

Originally posted by mbailey View Post
    Does Mission not offer this kit? I'm relatively new to this forum so maybe I missed something but the schematic over @ Weber has Bruce's name on it??
    I'm interested in this amp but some of the comments I've heard about the quality of some of the Weber components makes me wanna look somewhere different. If I were to source the parts my self can someone suggest a set of xformers?
    Well, it's a long story, but in a nutshell... up until a year and half or so ago, I was still building an amp very similar to this called the Soulkicker 30R. It is a 5E3 type amp made with a single 5U4GB, four cathode biased 6V6s, two 12AX7s and one 12AY7 but it used the extra 9 pin socket for a single tube reverb section.
    It didn't actually make a solid 30 watts but a 5E3 type amp at around +25 watts with some reverb sounded killer.

However, I no longer sell my own 5E3X2 or 5F2H model design out of professional courtesy to Weber VST and up until recently, I think they were leaving my name on the artwork of those two amps, even though Ted has done some minor tweaks and redrawn most of it all by now.

When building the old 5E3X2 amps (before WeberVST had them and actually a year or more before the Soulkicker 30R too) I was using Weber's 5C5 tweed Pro chassis to build those 5E3X2 amps and I'd punch the extra two octal tube socket holes in the chassis for the four 6V6s.. then I simply used my own custom wound Heyboer or TMI transformers, eyelet boards and parts.... etc.
    So in a way Weber had been involved with the project for years.

A few years ago, when we were still a Weber dealer, they asked me if they could supply the 5E3X2 as a complete kit with their own parts.
    Same thing with the 5F2H "harp-harmonica) tuned amp kits.
    Keep in mind, this was back when Weber was first trying to put some kits out on the street and we were happy to help them out.

Since they still offer these amp kits, I don't rock the boat.
    Actually, we used to do quite a bit of beta testing for WeberVST, well before many products would hit the market.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

thanx 4 the info Bruce

I think I follow the story. so I think I wanna try this build & source my own parts. I got a cool old Radio? chassis that measures 8" x 13" (pics attached)
      would this be big enough you think? can or would you suggest some transformers. would I be better off building a 5e3 w/ 6l6's?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tboy; 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM. Reason: attached images

Comment

Originally posted by mbailey View Post
        I think I follow the story. so I think I wanna try this build & source my own parts. I got a cool old Radio? chassis that measures 8" x 13" (pics attached)
        would this be big enough you think? can or would you suggest some transformers. would I be better off building a 5e3 w/ 6l6's?
        It is just a bit small but looks big enough to me if you are careful in the layout.
        Do your four power tube sockets as a quad... like the #4 on dice.
        All you need about a 660vct@160ma-200ma PT with 6.3v@ 5a, 5v@3a and a 3200 to 4000 ohm 35-50 watt output transformer with 4 and 8 ohm taps.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Bruce! this maybe a dumb question but is there a specific reason that I need 4 & 8 ohm taps for the OT besides the obvious spkr options?

Comment

Working...
          X