pickup shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup shape

i've heard that the shape can effect the sound of a pickup, is that true? for instance i was told a shallow wide pickup is mellower than a deep thin pickup.

assuming thats true what would a pickup that is narrow at one end and wide at the other sound like? or if u removed the plastic moulds on a humbucker and wound around the pair of pole pieces?

has anyone tried these designs before?

please note i have no experience in winding pickups but if i can find a supplier or wire and magnets in australia i would really want to get into it.

Yes the shape does affect the sound. A wider, shorter coil is more "mellow". I suppose you could put it that way. The coil size and shape are part of the formula for different pups'.

Have no idea what a combo size would sound like. Give it a try!

Winding around the two poles would be quiet. The polarities would cancel each other on the same coil. I have done this. Blame it on beer.
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by antiunderscores View Post
      for instance i was told a shallow wide pickup is mellower than a deep thin pickup.
      Compare a Fender Strat to a Jazzmaster... The Strat is tall and thin, and the jazzmaster is shallow and wide. Same thing with the Jazz Bass vs. Precision Bass.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X