Full Wave vs. FWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Wave vs. FWB

I seem to recall that there were some factors to consider when one chose the FWB over the Full Wave rectification scheme. IIRC, there was some advantage to using the FWB over the Full Wave as far as transformer rating / current draw was concerned (ignoring the need for a center tapped secondary winding, for now). Or, are they really the same altogether, it's just the diodes that see harder duty from one scheme to the next? TIA!

My take:
    The FWB uses a less expensive transformer because a center tapped winding is not needed. Some articles state that the FWB makes more efficient use of the transformer because the whole winding is used all the time. (Note that only half the turns are needed but the wire size is larger)
    Because two diodes are in series with the load at any instant in the FWB circuit, the PIV requirements are less than needed for a two diode FW circuit.
    Regards,
    Tom

Comment

Personally I think it is a wash. From a design point of view, any differences are minimal.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been dragging my feet on this high-gain amp I'm building. Due to the constraints of the chassis (Weber 6SX), I'm going to mount some snap-in caps to a separate board that will be mounted to the sidewall of the chassis. On this separate board, I plan to put the FRED's with it and have made a VERY tight fit for a FWB, but have plenty of room for a FW scheme. So, with the FRED's in a FW arrangement reduces parts cost/count and real estate. Thanks for the info!! Regards

Comment

Working...
        X