X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Alnico sig 10S VS 10A125 FOR 5F6-A

Hi.

I built 5F6-A with 4 RI Jensen P10Rs.

However, to me, RI Jensen P10R gives too much low freq. sound but much less treble freq. sound.

So I'm planning to buy weber speakers.

But I do not know which speakers to buy.

I only know that 10A125 cost twice the price of Alnico Sig 10S.

anyone have any idea?

Originally posted by s_gret_612 View Post
    Hi.

I built 5F6-A with 4 RI Jensen P10Rs.

However, to me, RI Jensen P10R gives too much low freq. sound but much less treble freq. sound.

So I'm planning to buy weber speakers.

But I do not know which speakers to buy.

I only know that 10A125 cost twice the price of Alnico Sig 10S.

anyone have any idea?
    It's really tough to suggest speakers because what I hear and what you hear, plus what and how you, I and others play is too different. I resist recommendations constantly....

For a more classic late 50's sound, I like the Weber 10A100T in these amps the best.
    However, a good combination for a little more modern sound is also two 10A125s (or 10A100Ts) and two 10F125s or 10F150s.
    Most of my "real" guitar player friends and customers don't care for the inexpensive, Alnico Sig 10s.... but many of my harp player customers seem to like them quite a bit.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Difference between Alnico sig 10s and 10A100T

Hi, Bruce.
      Thanks for a reply.

Can you describe the difference between Alnico sig 10s and 10A100T?

I have an Alnico sig 12s on my 5E3 kit and it sounds great.
      (bit too bright though...)

How about Alnico sig 10s?
      If Alnico sig 10s gives much brighter sound than 10A100T,
      I might buy 10A100Ts.

Thanks.

Comment

Check out the sound clip of the Alnico Blue Pup 10s on Weber's site.

To my ears his Alnico Blue speakers sound phenomenal in Fender amps. I had a 12F150 in my '68 DR and it was great but I was really floored when I tried an Alnico Blue Dog in it and that's what's in there now.

The speakers with the T suffix tend to have a brighter top end. The ceramic magnets and bigger voice coils have more thump. It doesn't sound like thump is what you're looking for, but I think that's why some people like the combination of Alnicos and Ceramics as Bruce suggests.

Comment

+1 on the blue dog, though for a 5f6-a I think one of the cool things is the ability to mix and match speakers. Actually, in my opinion, if you are using just one type of speaker in a 4x10 cab, then you are missing out on some cool tonal options.

For my 5E3, I made a head and mini stack. One Weber ceramic Blue Dog, and one 12A150A (an alnico magnet). Both plugged into the amp is wonderful!

If I have to grab just one cab, though, I'll take the Blue Dog every time. I like it waaay better than the 12A150A, despite the fact that the blue dog cost half what the other one did.

Weber speakers are nice, but I don't know if I'll spend $200 on a speaker again anytime soon.
          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that Weber speakers don't seem to be very efficient, i.e. as loud as other brands?

Comment

The sound I want is...

Hi,
              shebbycaster, cminor9>
              Thanks for replies. your opinion serve as a reference!!!

The sound I want is 'classic late 50's sound' as Bruce stated.

the reason that I asked for description of difference between Alnico sig 10s and 10A100T is simply budget.

I live in Japan. So I also have to think about shipping fees and etc.

Thanks.

Comment

[BI ][/B] I can tell you from experience with the weber sig. 10's that for the money these are great speakers, i put them in a 1966 super reverb that had the reissue jenson p-10 r's, to me the webers are much warmer and handle plenty of volume, break up nicely and have a nice frequency balance, i recommend them to anyone on a tight budget, if you can afford it there is a step up speaker called the classic, about twice the price, also a real good speaker, hope this helps you.

Comment

According to Ted Weber:

"Vintage Series vs Signature Series -- Our vintage series speakers use tighter, more concentric voice coil gaps, and lower carbon, machined steel parts in the magnet circuits which yield a stronger, more controlled tone at all volumes, particularly in the low end at high volumes. Our Signature Series uses all industry standard parts like all the rest of the speakers on the market and is an economical choice as a replacement speaker for low to moderate volume use."

I have the 10A-125 (20-Watt) speakers in my 5F6A clone. I think they sound very nice, although I never tried anything else. The local Victoria dealer also had the same opinion of the speakers/amp.
                  Last edited by Diablo; 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                    ... Most of my "real" guitar player friends and customers don't care for the inexpensive, Alnico Sig 10s.... but many of my harp player customers seem to like them quite a bit.
                    Bruce:

That tends to corroborate my findings that harmonica playing causes brain damage... all of that rapid inhaling and exhaling can result in a shortage of oxygen which kills brain cells.

Thanks for your suggestions which are very much appreciated here! You build a lot of amps and get the feedback from plenty of customers as to what they like and what they don't like. And of course your own tastes- people like what you build or you would still be making furniture instead of guitar amps...

Steve Ahola
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

And right after I said all that... I stuck a smooth cone Sig 10A into my little 5 watt Princeton/Harvard and it sounds really good!
                      I think it sounds a bit better with the old MOJO BB10 (10" ceramic) but the Sig 10A does seem to have some good Alnico tone to it that is lots of fun.
                      Bruce

Mission Amps
                      Denver, CO. 80022
                      www.missionamps.com
                      303-955-2412

Comment

We~~~~~~ll...

Hi.

delb, Diablo, Steve A., Bruce>
                        Thanks for your opinion!!!

I might get 10A100Ts for my 5F6-A kit.
                        I have to make money while yen is strong...

Comment

Working...
                        X