Good P-90 bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good P-90 bobbins?

Does anyone have a source for GOOD P-90 bobbins? I got some of the allparts ones and they just SUCK. They're flimsey, bend and flare like crazy, and everyone needs to be de-burred. Worst bobbin i've ever seen

What happened to the ones you set up to cnc. Did that not work out?

Comment

They work OK - but the glue joint I just dont trust. I wind P-90's with a fair bit of tension and the ends flare alot on me. Im very petrified about pinching the wire in the joints. I've put the tooling in storage for now and will try again at a later time.

Comment

Local, old school winder of pedal steel pickups, Dan Shields, had his son cnc his one-piece bobbins from delrin sheet stock. They worked out great except for the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Local, old school winder of pedal steel pickups, Dan Shields, had his son cnc his one-piece bobbins from delrin sheet stock. They worked out great except for the cost.
          I've actually thought about doing that since I have CNC's. I wonder why he picked delrin ..

Comment

delrin

Probably because it machines very easily leaves a good finish and excellent on a cnc as the swarf breaks away instead of tangleing up.
            Impossible to glue though.

Comment

He eventually tried ABS and it worked but the bobbins tended to warp over time, just not as stiff as the Acetyl apparently. Acetyl isn't that pricey, I often buy rems for $1 a pound.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                Boy I haven't heard that guy's name in quite awhile....he died in the late 90's if I remember right. When I was first getting started in messing around with guitars, I dropped by his place and had him wind up some pickups for me and picked his brain for about 4 hours while he smoked about 20 packs of ciggies. Nice guy though....knew his pickup winding.

Greg

Comment

Well I made a delrin bobbin yesterday and it turned out quite well! I used a 1/4 slot blade to slot the inside of the bobbin. I was also able to bond two magnets to it with silicone cement as well which is nice. Without any wire on it it actually flared inwards a little bit from the stress release. I made it with a 1/4" tall coil height and a 0.09" top and bottom. Though I may try it with a 1/8 top and bottom so that I can just machine it direct from 1/2" delrin so I dont have to stress release it.

That is nice plastic. mills, drills, and taps like a dream.

Thanks to whoever suggested it

b.

Comment

Working...
                  X