No announcement yet.

6G15 build ground loop hum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of the problem with relying on guitar cords is the failure rate of cables with molded ends, the use of solderless connectors, and complex pedalboard layouts with even more connections. If the second 'lifted' amp is daisey-chained off the the first(input 2 to input 1) and the pedalboard or guitar is plugged directly into the first grounded amp with no connections to the 'lifted' amp, it's reasonably safe, otherwise it's a case of really understanding what you're doing. I've always made my own cables, so I know what's in them and how their terminated.

I suspect the problem with most direct boxes or signal level loop busters isn't the transformer, the input impedance is too low(~250K) and it's a little like plugging into input 2 (132K) on a typical Fender. Maybe a small transformer could fit in the battery compartment of an active or line driver type stomp box or active A/B with a 1Meg input impedance. You'd have isolate the power supply of any stompboxes that came after, since they're typically grounded together through the DC power cable.

Comment

Working...
    X