Adapting a Tweed Princeton Cab for a 12" Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting a Tweed Princeton Cab for a 12" Speaker

I'm posting this to pass along some experience and get some feedback.

Last year I built a harp amp to the 5F2H schematics and specs that were originally drawn up by Bruce of Mission Amps, and later posted on Weber's site. I didn't buy the kit, but sourced it all myself, building it, however, to the posted schematic for starters.

I used it as a head unit for quite some time playing through a number of different speakers I would mount into old generic cabs I had laying around. I finally decided it was time to build a cab for it, and since it was based on the Tweed Princeton circuit, why not a standard Princeton cab. So taking an old pine shelving board that used to be in my closet, I built a 56-60 sized Princton cab. It was fine and seemed to work fine. I had originally planned on playing through 2 8" alnicos I had, but during tone tests, I kept coming back to the fact that a 12" Magnavox Alnico Golden Voice had the best sound to my ears. So, no problem, just build a new baffle board and squeeze the 12 incher in. Well, it turned out to be a big problem. For those who know the difference, an alnico speaker sticks out the back quite a bit more than a ceramic magged speaker. With the humongous KT66 tube hanging down in the dead center of the chassis, I had some serious interference problems.

Just to get things going, I moved the mounting of the speaker to the front of the baffle with a 3/4" spacer which gave me the clearance I needed, but looked very poor. I considered building a new cab, possibly a Tweed Deluxe cab, but then what would I do with the Princeton cab? I didn't have any upcoming plans for building a stock Princeton or another 5F2H. I could sell it, but I liked the compact size, and I had already put all the work into it. So driving home from work on day, I realized that I could just make it deeper by cutting it in half and gluing in the appropriate "spacers".

Check out my album about my 5F2H to see the construction pics with the final result.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/album.php?albumid=22

You will notice that I still have some finishing work to do, but It sounds great , and when it gets covered, no one except you will know the truth.

T

PS--I'm a Mechanical Engineer and a CAD jockey, so when I can I will post the drawings and dims for this and possibly other cabs.
    Attached Files

Nice one! Funny thing is that I use to be a pretty good cabinet maker and ran out family's furniture wood shop and surprisingly.... I've done the same thing too!! ha ha.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks. It works. No one is going to mistake if for a real vintage unit, but it works for me. I gotta get it and my 5E3 cleaned up and covered.

Ted

Comment

Cool little amp. I did a 5F2A with a 12" spkr in a 5E3 sized cab last year, but wish I had put it in a smaller cab.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
        X