'62 Fender Pro- D-130f?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 Fender Pro- D-130f?

I have an early '62 fender pro. It currently has a 64 C15n loaded in the cab. The c15n seems to be farting out and the cone is fluttering on the bass end at higher volumes... probably needs to be reconed. While that is getting done I will need a back up speaker. I can't make up my mind if I should just bite the bullet and get the original speaker that was meant for this amp... the JBL grey frame d130f... or get a weber equivalent. The d130fs are astronomical in price and the recone kits are too.....The alnico california weber is quite pricey as well but... the ceramic california weber is fairly resonable...so....

The question here is really what is the difference in tone between the weber ceramic california and the alnico... How close are are the webers to the d130f tone?

Actually all 62 fender Pro's I have worked on have been factory fitted with an Alnico Jensen P15N. And they sounded great. The early Vibrosonic had the JBL.

I find the JBL's to be very ice picky when driven hard. The exception being the 130A with the paper dome.

My experience with Weber Speakers has been great and would not hesitate to use an appropriate model from his catalog.

May I suggest his 15A150 .

Your back will thank you as well.

Comment

I'll second the Webers. Although JBL's are very well made speakers, I've always found them to be very harsh sounding speakers if there's any degree of break-up in the sound. Yes, "ice picky" is a great description. IF you're a "clean" player they're not so bad (but if you own a nice old Pro Amp, you must have at least SOME break-up in your sound). A paper (fibre) dust cap definitely helps. The JBL 12's are even worse in that sense. When they're installed in a "sealed' enclosure, it cuts down on the excessive brightness and let's that classic JBL "Presence" come through much better, but in an "open back" combo (like a '62 Pro).....THEY HURT MY EARS!
      Mac/Amps
      "preserving the classics"
      Chicago, Il., USA
      (773) 283-1217
      (cell) (847) 772-2979
      Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

I have a JBL D130 in a Vibroverb clone that I made. Since I built the amp around the speaker. I found an old "low usage" speaker I decided to build the amp.

I may have voiced the amp to "fit" the speaker (I built it 10 years ago so I don't remember everything I did to it) but mine does not sound harsh at all. I do tend to play on the clean side, but it also sounds great with distortion and over drives.

If I could find anothe D130 I would buy it in a heart beat

Comment

Thanks fellas... I actually wound up emailing Ted Weber himself on this one... he suggested the same speaker billyz did... the 15f150 (50 watt)... i got Weber to use light dope and break it in for me... WOW...the bottom end on that thing is killer and the vibrato/tremolo is outstanding with that speaker... I am going to send my c15n to ted for recone. The 15f150 really breaks up nicely but lets the amp do most of the work... thanks for the replys... this forum is awesome.

Comment

Working...
          X