Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lessen bass response in tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lessen bass response in tube amp?

This is unrelated to my last thread but pertains to the same amp - a Koch Powertone II. This amp puts out a LOT of bass even with the bass control turned all the way down. Its bass response makes playing with neck position humbucker difficult because the overpowering bass causes a somewhat rubbery sound.

I have a schematic if anyone is interested.

thanks,

brian

a schematic would help. im unfamilar with the amp, so i cant help without it.

if its a combo it could be partially due to the speaker/speakerenclosure

Comment

Here is the schematic:

www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/KochPowertoneII.pdf

I don't think it is a speaker cab issue because my other tube amps don't sound nearly as bassy.

thanks,

brian

Comment

Any channel in particular too bassy, or all of them?
        Does the damping switch help (try ultra low compared to high)?
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

It is mainly the two gain channels where I notice the bass. The dampen settings do help somewhat. But they seem to alter the total frequency response versus affecting just the bass.

brian

Comment

Cut one or more of C5, 8, 10, 14 and 17 in half. If that's not enough, cut them in half again a time or two. At some point, you'll start getting less bass.
            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

and/or C1 and C6 could be 5 uF (vs. 4x that amount). Every clean channel I do now gets this treatment, thanks Howard.

Comment

I can't help thinking that the 470pF caps to ground (C9 and C16) may be dulling the amp's tone - sniping these out will increase treble and have the effect of less bass. You could of course just half the value of these caps and see if thats enough.

also, +1 on suggestions above - that 22uF cap on the cathode of the first stage won't be helping, try these too...

* C1 from 22uF to 1uF (less bass/tighter bass)
                * C8, C10, C17 from 47nF to 22nF (less bass)
                * try a 470pF cap accross R28 for more bite in the hi-mids
                * C41, C42, C43, C44 from 47nF to 22nF (less bass)
                HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Working...
                X